Skip to content

Discuss This Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Triumph's new Tiger Explorer 1200 adventure bike has been unveiled at the Milan show. The Tiger Explorer is set to be the most powerful shaft-driven adventure tourer for the foreseeable future, with its all-new inline three cylinder motor producing 135bhp. Laden with ABS, traction control and cruise control as standard the British firms BMW R1200GS rival is set to cost around £11,000...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 November 2011 17:18)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
TTFan3C

Jul 04

TTFan3C says:

Five stars

Fantastic 5 stars for the Tiger !!!!

Reply to this Topic
elefantman

Nov 03

elefantman says:

Not an R1200 killer

Doesn't even look like an adventure bike. I'm no BMW fan but as someone who does genuinely ride dual-purpose bikes offroad, for my money I'd buy a cheaper secondhand R1150GS and feel OK about thrashing it rather than spend money on the brand new Trumpy and be forever thinking about how far I could push those cast rims before they shattered or worrying about whether I was going to hole the sump on a rock.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Shattering the cast wheels?? Seriously, this is a 600lbs bike. You won't be jumping off cliffs with it, it will spend 90% of it's time on the pavement, and a 10% on gravel roads. Where I live our roads are in very poor condition there's potholes in which you could fit a wheel in, and in over 100000km I never busted a wheel, and I had all sorts of bikes with all sorts of cast wheels. People that want to do serious off-roading, will not be looking at this bike. They'll be looking at a much more compact and lighter bike. This is basically a touring bike, with off-roadish capabilities. You can shop at KTM if off-roading is really your main usage. Even the GS they sell it as an adventure bike but 80% of customers at best do a little gravel road here and there.

Reply to this Topic
loftyjohn

Jun 07

loftyjohn says:

T12ex

I agree this is no r12gs killer! It will destroy it!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Conventional sports tourers are dead. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. I just can't believe that the big 4 have taken so long to get their act together. How many GS's have BMW sold over the last 10 years? The Triumph 1050 was a great road bike - this could be something real special.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

paulvti

you state " Conventional sports tourers are dead". Erm....... What a complete load of crap. If you are really suggesting that the entire sports touring type would swap their Busa's , Blackbirds, ZZR1400's, K1300s's,VFR1200's FJR1300's, ect ect for GS's Then sorry my cyber friend, you are deluded, it won't happen. May I suggest you go buy one, own one, ride one then you might understand why. I would agree that the 1050 is a good bike but it aint no Busa.

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

fuel

the triumph beside being a heap of poo will it ever match the 50+mpg you can get from a gs this i very much doubt it ever could and with the price of fuel set to rise even farther who needs a thirsty heap of poo

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

crustybiker!

It remains to be seen what the Triumph does to the gallon as there hasn't been one tested yet, but what about the awful oil consumption of BMW boxers. I have friends who tell me of a litre every thousand miles and the finish is nothing to write home about either. Theres also the problem with ABS on the BMs which is so expensive to fix, people usually delete it completely rather than fix it. Its swings and roundabouts. It also looks like the Triumph will be more user friendly with seat height which is a big thing with a lot of people. Yes, I know the BM has adjustable seat height and suspension mods to reduce even futher but have you seen one modded this way? It looks ridiculously low, like something has been dropped on it. Better to think it out in the design phase then it looks right.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Crustybiker!

Hiya,

I've got a Sprint ST1050 which loaded up, cuising at over 80mph still returns an average of over 60mpg, so i'd imaging 50+ for the Explorer should be attainable.

the ST is the 4th Triumph I've owned, on which I've done well over 100,000 miles with no issues. not even a minor issue - nothing's gone wrong!.

So, how can you justify a comment saying the Triumph is a 'heap of poo'? mine have been far more reliable than any other Jap or European bike I've ver had. and they sound great :)

Baz

Reply to this Topic
tizwas

Oct 09

tizwas says:

60mpg sprint 1050

now come on 60mpg cruising at over 80mpg on a 1050 sprint st !! you should have started your little story once upon a time.  the triumph tripple motor is a peach but the build quality is no where near a bmw. as for reliability ive had more bikes than i care to mention inc 8 triumphs and 11 bmws and not oncs have i broken down or had any other problems. its pethetic all this my bikes better than your bike bull s...t. no one makes a bad bike and if you love biking then you should oppreciate them all for what they are. anyway my dads bigger than your dad !!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices