Skip to content

Discuss This Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Milan show video: Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Triumph's new Tiger Explorer 1200 adventure bike has been unveiled at the Milan show. The Tiger Explorer is set to be the most powerful shaft-driven adventure tourer for the foreseeable future, with its all-new inline three cylinder motor producing 135bhp. Laden with ABS, traction control and cruise control as standard the British firms BMW R1200GS rival is set to cost around £11,000...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 November 2011 17:18)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

60mpg Sprint

fair comment but what's the problem? 60mpg should be easy enough to get nowadays. think about it - Puegeot build 1.4 litre diesel engines that Ford, Citroen and BMW use in their superminis and they all do over 70mpg (manufacturers figures). so if you can push over a ton of metal around at over 70mpg then pushing 350kg of bike + rider should be easier?

seriously, 60mpg on a sprint aint that difficult. I don't ride like an idiot, hold as steady speed on motorways etc etc.. I would expect most big bikes to be about the same?

not so for a Rocket III  though i understand!....

Reply to this Topic
955nsim

Jul 10

955nsim says:

Bit harsh!!!!

Hi Tizwas! A little bit over the top there mate!Zoobaz wasn't indulging in a slanging match,he was just saying that he has a good experience with his triumph.I agree with you about there not being many bad bikes out there,from any manufacturer any more.technology and materials has ironed out most of the probs of earlier bikes..from all quarters!I think that you will find that the only one starting the slanging match was Crustybiker,who appears to spend his time slagging off every..and all Triumphs,at every opportunity.A number of bikes;from many manufacturers; do exhibit 'foibles',but they pale into insignificance to the problems suffered by bikers of a generation ago.Who knows what the new Explorer will be like?No doubt,a roadtest will be eagerly awaited,by many who are considering a bike in this growing segment. As bikers we should be welcoming new models.Whether it be a hyper-sports,a cruiser,big naked,or whatever takes your fancy.We all have differing tastes,that doesn't mean that anyone is wrong!! It's a shame that some people see the launch of a new bike as a chance to slag off the choice of others,what ever happened to live and let live??

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Ta!

Thanks Mr 955 :)

yep totally agree - I love my Triumph but I've had loads of different bikes over the years, starting with a Puch MS50, an FS1e and a Suzuki AP50 in the 80s like a lot of us, i guess? Bikes from the 70s and 80s were terrible compared to bikes nowadays. I might change the Triumph for another manufacturer next time, maybe even a Harley or a Guzzi - I understand they don't break down nowadays either?

But I'll definately book a test ride on this Explorer - here's hoping it's every bit as good as it looks. A 1200 version of the tripple should pull like a train :)

Reply to this Topic
AlpineEagle

Nov 11

AlpineEagle says:

What's all the fuss about mpg ? The Explorer is a real Hybrid-Bike. The first 200 miles you ride with the 4-stroke engine and the rest of the exploration tour you travel under sails. :-)

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

How many mpg?

Zoobaz, I don't think you work out your fuel consumption very accurately coz I have a Sprint ST and have done 23,000 miles on it and average about 47mpg, so I don't know how you get over 60! I've never had that whatever speed I do. It sounds as unbelievable as another idiot who was on here recently claiming 80mpg from a Kwak ZZR600. Fill your tank to the brim, zero your trip meter, then go on your ride. Fill up when you get back, divide your litres by 4.545 to get gallons then divide your mileage by the gallons you have used, that should get you a sensible reading. If you still get over 60mpg, ring Guiness book of records.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

@955nsim

Took the words right out of my mouth...

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Some lads just dont get these bikes, i dont see why people have to keep comparing them to dirt bikes and the like, theyre over-landers not moto-crossers, i guess some guys should just stick to travelling 20 mile up the road for a brew on a sunday before heading home, if that floats ya boat then crack on, just stop slating other lads for appreciating summat else.........FFS lol

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

zoobaz......

now your talking.... Puch Maxi, AP50, FSIE, OMG i'm 16 again. Laverda Jota was the Dogs t.......s and the CBX1000 was the sensible choice..... Roll on......

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Sat Nav Steve

Hi Steve,

Yep you're right - that's how most people work out mpg... I'd have thought most big bikes nowadays would do 60ish on a steady run?   Fair enough, not on twisties or in traffic. The only bikes I've had that didn't do 50+ mpg on a constant steady speed were my XJR1300 and my VTR1000... the VTR was particuarly bad. having said that, both those bikes were carbed - injection bikes have all been better.

I love the look of the new Explorer, I really hope manufacturers start listening to punters and start thinking about running costs. I definately can't afford to own 2 bikes, therefore if I invest in a new bike it'll need to be able to do 'everything'... I'm looking forwards to readign the test :)

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Sat Nav Steve

Hi Steve,

Yep you're right - that's how most people work out mpg... I'd have thought most big bikes nowadays would do 60ish on a steady run?   Fair enough, not on twisties or in traffic. The only bikes I've had that didn't do 50+ mpg on a constant steady speed were my XJR1300 and my VTR1000... the VTR was particuarly bad. having said that, both those bikes were carbed - injection bikes have all been better.

I love the look of the new Explorer, I really hope manufacturers start listening to punters and start thinking about running costs. I definately can't afford to own 2 bikes, therefore if I invest in a new bike it'll need to be able to do 'everything'... I'm looking forwards to readign the test :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices