Skip to content

Discuss This Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept

Honda will reveal this breathtaking electric sportsbike at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show next month. Dubbed the RCE, the  road-legal supersport-style bike uses the large, powerful electric motor employed in the firm's Insight hybrid car. It's suspended front and rear by Ohlins TTX and is designed to "Pursue the joy of riding" says Honda. The firm promises "a powerful and smooth...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 November 2011 09:35)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

Here a thought for the eco eclectic bike loving hippies : ) how do we currently make the power to run these bikes?

Buy burning lots of fossil fuels in big dirty power stations so by the time they burnt it, made the power and sent the power to your home to charge you bike its only 30-33% efficient (uk efficiency also not inc the loss from charging the bike) so they are not !00% efficient and this is before I get into the eco problems of the batteries

But Modern turbo-diesel engines are using common-rail fuel injection, electronically controlled has am efficiency up to 50%

So till the problem of making and getting power to you home fair more efficient is solved (and wind power is a crock off ****) the short term future is not electric battery powered bike it is making a light weight fuel efficient diesel bike at the cost of around the same a normal petrol driven bike think CG/ER type bike 100mpg + think that would sell a few bikes

I have no issue with having an electric bike once they as easy to own, run as a normal bike and the energy they consume is made more efficient

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

ZeroDS

Why would anybody buy a sports styled motorbike and ride it like a commuter bike? Almost every ride out I've been on involves slightly spirited riding (ie fairly quick pace) with a fuel stop so typically around 150-220 miles in range. I use my motorbike for commuting but also much much more than just that (touring, rallying, track days - ride there/use on track/ride back home, visiting different venues which could be quite some distance away, occassionally doing some shopping etc). For some of these an electric bike could be utilised but certainly not for all of them.

The truth is that electric vehicles have some extreme limitations. If you want to limit yourself to only being able to use the vehicle for certain circumstances then by all means go ahead and buy an electric bike/ car. Do not however try to ignore the very significant limitations that these vehicles have.

I rode to germany last weekend and back to see a show. That was 880 miles in 4 days with luggage and all ridden at moderate pace (ie around the speed limit on motorways etc). I could not ever have dreamed of doing such a journey on an electric vehicle. I used to work away from home for a while which involved stopping over in a B&B monday to friday (about 160 miles from where I lived). I could never have contemplated that with an electric vehicle. I sometimes go away to rallies or shows and most of them don't have provisions for recharging. None of the parking facilities at any UK company I've ever worked at had recharging points and trailing an extension lead from one of the buildings wouldn't have been tolerated from a health and Safety view point (tripping hazard and also cable length would have been excessive leading to possibility of overheating the extension lead or reducing the current so much that recharging times are multiplied.

Vehicles do have collisions from time to time which would involve potential damage to batteries. Both Lithium Ion and Nickel Metal Hydride batteries have  health concerns (carcinegens and fetal harm to name some of the most prominent). I have heard of cases whereby electric vehicles were left to burn because full body respirators weren't available for the fire fighters.

Production of the batteries is an extrememly Carbon Monoxide rich producing process. The processing of the raw elements for the batteries produces significant amounts of pollutants equivalent to running a conventional petrol powered vehicle for  a couple of years.

Industry likes to extol the virtues of new technology as it can make money out of them but after a while the flaws in that technology become evident. For example CD's do not last for ever etc.

You may have an opinion about about electric vehicles but everybody else is also allowed to have their own. I can not see electric vehicles being a realistic transportation source unless exchangeable common fit batteries are developed which can be exchaged at realistic costs.

As others have mentioned where does the power to recharge these vehicles come from? Wind farms are one of the least efficient forms of extracting energy and only ever work if there's wind (god help this country if we get a sustained cold/ dark period without wind as parts of the country will end up being cut off - or we'll simply end up buying electricity from overseas at whatever mark up they want).

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

Looks really nice

Completely useless and less green than a dirty great coal fired power station. But it does look nice.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Long distance?

Every year, I like to take my bike on the continent. How long would it take me on an electric bike to go from Lancashire to Portsmouth? At the moment, it takes me about 6 hours although on one occasion a few years ago, in a mad rush, I did it in 4 and half hours. If an electric bike can do that, I'll be in the queue for one tomorrow, but I doubt if I'll see one do that in my lifetime and I think I've got quite a few years to go yet.

Reply to this Topic
superbiker70

Nov 11

superbiker70 says:

Honda RCE

Honda always manages to make trick new technology look sexy. But let's not forget that the only justifiable reason for out-of-the-pipe zero-emissions vehicles is to provide transportation where there is high density of use, such as in cities, to improve atmospheric conditions. Yet while we have to suffer cities full of diesel-powered buses and taxis such as in London, which should be the first to get the chop, the whole exercise is futile. Yes, electric power is an exciting technical challenge, but let's not get carried away. That RCE looks great, but would be better with a proper IC engine.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

re zero ds

I never thought the CB1300 was too heavy because it's a Retro beast built for comfort not a race bike. I dont believe electric bikes or cars or cycles are the answer to our energy/polution problems but thats beside the point problem is manufacturers will bring out a new technology a long time before its perfected ( I phone anyone). Most cars are only any use in a small range 30 miles round trips and even though manufacturers will tell you the range in perfect conditions they dont tell you how much use they are when you are stuck in traffic wipers on lights on heater trying to clear the glass. The main problem is not just the range but when you do run out of charge you cant just pour some more in the and a no amount of man servants will help. As for the benefits to the environment the dangerous chemicals that make up the power pack the fact that power stations produce huge emissions not to mention mining these chemicals and sending them around the world for processing and then disposing of the power pack at the end of it's service life that believe me will be no where near half a million km as any MK1 Prius owner will tell you. The moving parts may be good for half a mill but the battery will be limited to time and recharging cycle. And as you do not mention what model of electric bike you have I assume it's a scooter the RC-E has a car power pack that will not be as cheap. The petrol / diesel piston engines are a refined tech that has an exsisting infrastructure. I like piston engines & will only consider an electric alternative when they are ready & have benefits they are designed to achieve. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
fucmeitsandy

Nov 11

fucmeitsandy says:

nice looking bike .

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

For those that complain that they can't take their yearly trek across Europe I can only say, pull out the other bike for that trip. E-bikes are not meant for that, maybe never will be unless there's some sort of quick-change battery system universally adopted. These are urban commuters that should do well within their battery range. Many of my friends that ride have more than one bike, their touring style bike used for road trips and something smaller, usually lighter, used for around town use. I can see something like this slotting well into that use.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Price

Sack1, not everybody can afford more than one bike. 

Love the looks of this bike and would be nice to see something like this in a petrol version. Not likely though.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I'm sure it will be great for about 50 miles, then get B&B for a night whilst it recharges then ride home again, no problem. Seriously though, what good is it? If its a sports bike. by the time you have got going on a good ride, it will be all over because the range is short. Its obviously not a commuter and not practical as theres no luggage capacity and no pillion seat. Its a styling exercise and an experiment with the power train but no practical use I can see. And going off the price of other electric bikes I have seen, I dread to think how much this will be.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices