Skip to content

Discuss This Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Honda's incredible RC-E Tokyo Show concept

Honda will reveal this breathtaking electric sportsbike at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show next month. Dubbed the RCE, the  road-legal supersport-style bike uses the large, powerful electric motor employed in the firm's Insight hybrid car. It's suspended front and rear by Ohlins TTX and is designed to "Pursue the joy of riding" says Honda. The firm promises "a powerful and smooth...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 November 2011 09:35)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

Very nice but...........

How long will a full charge last, because in Lincolnshire, there is no where to charge it, and if you do find some where to charge it, how long will it take? 8 hours? nine hours? A fast charge will kill the batteries very quickly, how much will they be to replace? In a car they cost about £7000.

What about going away on it? How many hotels have charging points? When you do charge it, you'll have to carry the cable with you, what if yobs cut the cable during the night at a hotel or steal it?

Car drivers can't hear normal bikes, what hope have you got on one of these?

How much will the bike cost initially?

Yes it's very nice looking and a good idea in principal, but I just don't think they'll catch on properly until quite a few issues are sorted out first, great for an hours blast, but not much use for touring to a track for the weekend, you'd still need a petrol motor for that or anything else remotely distant.

Reply to this Topic
rollingroad

Oct 02

rollingroad says:

Great!

A worthy-looking addition to Honda's RC line.

Reply to this Topic
marty1035

Aug 07

marty1035 says:

OMG

What a fabulous looking machine. In my opinion possibly the best looking concept in years. Even decades. Bring it on.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

electric turn off

When I seen it I thought awsome, then it said elecrtic motor I thought great a race bike that is heavier than a cb1300 and with less range than Justin Bieber. Pitstops will last 12 hours and when it comes time to change them batteries it'll be 50% more then the bikes worth and will do nothing for the environment when you dump 100 kilos of vicious chemicals on mother earth. In 20 years the electric thing may work but until then p*ss off and put a 1200cc V twin with a supercharger in it. How about a diesel V twin that ran on chip fat with 100lb/ft now there's a concept.

Reply to this Topic
ZeroDS

Nov 11

ZeroDS says:

What's up with you people?

What is it with people and electrics?  The hate, the vitriol and most of all the made up on the spot out right lies.  When a new sport bike, dirt bike or whatever comes out do we have to put up with an endless stream of cost and benefit posts from people who've never even touched one?  Look at this thread alone...
"Still a flawed concept... because electric vehicles can't be refuelled as easily as fossil fuel vehicles therefore their range is extremely limited."  Those two statements don't follow from each other, but I refuel my electric in my garage. I don't know how much easier it could possibly be.  Perhaps if I had a manservant plug it in for me, otherwise it's the easiest refueling ever.
"heavier than a cb1300" did that person post when the CB1300 came out and say it it's too heavy?  Perhaps he should have, the CB1300 is 151 kg heavier than my electric bike.
"in Lincolnshire, there is no where to charge it"  I'm sure that even in Lincolnshire they've got electricity in a few houses.
"How many hotels have charging points?" I've only ever stayed in one hotel that didn't have electricity.  It was in the Indian Himalaya and they didn't have petrol either.
"When you do charge it, you'll have to carry the cable with you, what if yobs cut the cable during the night at a hotel or steal it?"  Yes, you carry a cable it's lighter than the security cable I also carry.  If the Yobs cut it then they're electrocuted, unlike when they cut the cable securing your petrol bike and nick the whole bloody lot.
"Car drivers can't hear normal bikes, what hope have you got on one of these?" What you think you can be more unheard than them not hearing you now?  If they can't hear normal bikes then being quieter makes *no difference*.  Have you actually heard an electric on the road?  They have about the same noise to the front as a petrol bike.
"and when it comes time to change them batteries it'll be 50% more then the bikes worth",  the 2012 version of my bike is good for just under half a million km.  How many petrol bikes have half a million km on them and those that do, don't you think they need an engine change?  Have you priced a new replacement engine for your fireblade lately?
"dump 100 kilos of vicious chemicals" The battery on my bike is rated as non toxic.  You could eat it but you wouldn't because it's completely recyclable into a new battery.

You'd swear that half the people who comment on electric bikes get all their knowledge of motoring from Top Gear.
=:)

Reply to this Topic
wobblyhead

Apr 10

wobblyhead says:

i like it

i find the electric motorcycle movement much more interesting that the electric car movement. i understand the worries about e-waste when the batteries run out, but working on cars for a living, i think you're still seeing a much better enviromental impact going electric, especially with a motorcycle. range is always going to be a factor, but i know in the U.S., I remember a study showing people generally commute less than 15 miles a day. give me a bike with 100 mile range and you're only charging every 3 days. it won't be for everyone, but having an electric bike to commute on and maybe an older v-strom or something for trips is pretty appealing to me, if only to give the technology the boost it needs to get better.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

I WANT ONE NOW !

Love it end of .

Reply to this Topic
MCNGuyP

May 09

MCNGuyP says:

Re ZeroDS

Great comment sir

Reply to this Topic
Mike P

Aug 08

Mike P says:

Petrol

I want exactly the same look, but a petrol version - 600cc manual (none of that auto or electric stuff for me!)

Reply to this Topic
andybiker

May 07

andybiker says:

re ZeroDS

Thank you for taking my words out of context and omitting the part about an industry standard battery swapping infrastructure.

I agree that when it comes to refuelling a vehicle nothing is as convenient as plugging it into the mains elecricity supply at home. It's when you venture further afield that the problems arise. Only when electric vehicles can more easily be used beyond the limit of their range can they hope to be of greater use to the public as a whole, hence my comment about being able to swap industry standard-sized batteries at fuel stations.

I, along with many other motorcyclists, ride my bike way beyond the range presently offered by batteries. If those who are developing this technology could agree an industry standard sized battery and persuade the power generating industry to get behind them and build a nationwide infrastructure similar to that of fossil fuel providers then the lack of range wouldn't be a problem.

What would then be a problem is how all the extra electricity required to power millions of battery vehicles would be generated. At present our electricity comes mainly from coal-fired power stations. The government is investing heavily in wind farms but that won't generate nearly enough. So that leaves us with nuclear power, which is also a government preferred option, though I doubt very many people want a nuclear power plant on their doorstep.

I suspect the reason the power generating industry hasn't got behind electric vehicles is that they see no long-term future in doing so. It would take an awful lot of investment which could be wasted if, as could well be the case, a more viable alternative to battery-powered vehicles is developed in the future.

So please, let's not get too evangelical about battery-powered vehicles as, when put into the wider context of electricity generation, they too have their problems. I dare say they will play their part in an integrated transport system as a commuting alternative but any more than that is wishful thinking. We all know something needs to be done but I suspect any dramatic change will only take place when it is politically expedient to make that change.

And just so you know I have ridden a battery powered bike that was being developed by the guys behind one of the TTX race bikes. It was interesting but not that engaging, though I admit it was an early road going version. More interesting was the fact that the chap developing it, who rode this bike daily, was surprised at how much energy I, along with others, had used when we rode it. Perhaps we provided an insight as to how other motorcyclist might use a battery-powered bike.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle