You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Insurance Problems Advice Needed

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BeninBristol

Jul 11

BeninBristol says:

Insurance Problems Advice Needed

Hi - could do with some advice if possible please?

I had just renewed a fully comp two-bike policy - one for £5k and one for £2k - when I had a collision which ended up with my £2k bike being written off.  Fault has not yet been settled but I suspect it will be 50/50.  The police who attended think I was at fault but although I was knocked out and have total memory loss I believe this could be argued.

Anyway, after much pressure from my insurers to decide whether or not to make a claim I was still unsure what to do.  My excess was £800, I knew I would probably lose my 2 years NCB and would only get £1,200 back.  After being told by the Third Party that they were putting a claim in I decided to claim for my bike as well.

What I didn't expect (and certainly was never told during numerous conversations with my insurer) was that a payout on one bike meant my whole policy - still with 51 weeks left to run - was cancelled.  My £600 premium was forfeited and my remainig bike left uninsured. I have now had to re-insure this bike and with zero NCB and currently an At Fault Claim on my history. It has proved very expensive.

My insurers are saying that a Total Loss claim results in policy being cancelled - in line with their Ts&Cs - but I have looked at these and it does not mention what happens in the case of a policy that has more than one bike on it.  The clause very much sounds like it refers to a single bike policy but this is unclear.  I do not see how my claim can be seen as being a Total Loss when the policy was for two bikes and a total value of £7k and I have claimed for £2k only.

Do I have a leg to stand on legally?

Additionally i would dispute the way my policy was renewed - although it was referred to as a renewal, my broker actually switched me to a different underwriter without telling me.  Admittedly I should have noticed when the 'renewal' documents came through but I didn't make the connection.  I have checked and apparently the underwriter I was originally with would NOT have cancelled the policy in the event of a claim for just one bike.

I have 8 days left of my 14 day cooling off for new policy I've just taken out, so if anyone has any advice I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Ben

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 November 2011 14:30)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
littleredrooster

Aug 02

Cancellation

Yes - when a Policy  pays out for a loss like that, it becomes a 'paid-up' policy and terminates. Many people don't realise this and it has been a common question over the years.

Reply to this Topic
BeninBristol

Jul 11

BeninBristol says:

Thanks

for your reply.  I'm still surprised it works like that - just doesn't seem right when you're paying a premium based on total value of two bikes and a payout on one means they consider the policy to be paid up.

Of the 20 or so underwriters on my broker's panel there is only 1 - mine unfortunately - who see it like that.  Apparently all the others who do multi bike policy would not have cancelled the cover on my other bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices