Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Thousands of learners could have to pass test twice’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Thousands of learners could have to pass test twice’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

‘Thousands of learners could have to pass test twice’

Thousands of learner motorcyclists could have to take a controversial riding test twice despite passing the first time, riding instructors have warned. They are also likely to be charged twice as a result of changes to the motorcycle test.At the moment the practical riding test consists of two exams, one off-road and one on. But from 2013 the two are...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 November 2011 15:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Oh FFS stop whinging

After the 2 stage test came in, the number of new licensees essentially halved. 

Personally I prefer the 2 stage test, but going back to a single test is going to make the process look a bit simpler, which is what we need.

Given that it's looking like being introduced at the same time as the 3rd Directive regime kicks in (and I mean, kicks in the aspirations of anyone under 24), anything that the DfT can do to get more people to at least consider biking is a good thing.

So how about actually welcoming this more from the DfT, rather than moaning that a few people who get their timing wrong might be out by a massive £15.50.

Reply to this Topic
InTheRealWorld

Oct 11

Odd laws

Just googled 3rd directive Roger mentioned. I had no idea this was happening and seems mad. The real problem is with the 16 year olds on their scooters, and they are the ones that need legislating against; not people that actually need to take tests and lessons. Especially over the age of 21 when you are likely to have a car and road sense.

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Rogerborg

A 2 stage test in my opinion, has not done anything to help the motobike industry, only hinder it.

And as for the £15.50, don't forget the combined cost of being taken to, and from the test with an instructor, twice.

This whole thing has been a real kick in the teeth for training schools and the industry, the 3rd directive was aptly described though!

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Bigger picture

Third directive; Test at 17 = full licence, but only on a 125cc bike

Test at 19 = full licence, but only on 46bhp bike

Test at 24 = full licence on anything

Therefore if you're 17 and want an R1 you'll have to wait 7 years and take your test 3 times!!!!!

C'mon MCN wake up and smell the coffee...................................

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

Hit the nail on the head there tc330. The 3rd directive is going to be the twist of the dagger to the industry and motorbike community. Why on earth would someone want to spend all that money to ride a bike when they could put it towards a decent car, and ace their test due to the relaxed test standards.

Plus I hate people who use a negative argument to make their point. “We don’t have any evidence of vast numbers of people waiting before doing the second part of their test" so that must mean no one will be affected by this! Going by that logic, just because Kelly Brook hasn't said she doesn't want to have sex with me, it must mean she's gagging for it. Genius

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

sheeple

It does'nt matter if you do your test 5 times it does'nt make car drivers any less aggressive, stupid, poorly trained irrisponsible sheep who pay attention to anything other than the job in hand e.g driving. When you make an effort to become a motorcyclist you have to pay attention, you know the ground is wet you are fully aware that you are approaching an island & the position of threats to yourself while you are doing so if you dont or you dont learn you wont last. My sister is learning to drive and the driving instructor turned up in a KIA with all the rear windows blacked out blacked out not tinted. Red driving school and the like have turned the country into a nation of driving instructors who have no idea how to drive themselves like the blind leading the blind. You see proffesional drivers Taxis no brake lights, wrong lane, pull out in front of you even though they have clearly seen you. I was behind a Police car who turned right from the left hand lane at an island and did'nt indicate once. If the government want to stop motorcylists getting killed they should turn their attention to the killers. 

Reply to this Topic
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Training not testing?

http://www.bmf.co.uk/upload/documents/1196679553_3rd_european_directive.pdf

As far as I can gather from the link, learners will only have to pass one full test, but must have 7 hours of training and a "small" test to upgrade to the next stage of licence. Quite what the small test includes I don't know...

Luckily for people like myself it won't affect people who passed their test before it comes in. I was getting worried that I'd come off my restriction in october and then have to go back to another restrictor later on :S

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

3rd directive

Interesting that the 3rd directive has been mentioned. That's the reason all this anti-tampering stuff has appeared, to stop people on samll and medium sized bikes tuning them above their allowed power limit and invalidating their licenses and effectively getting round the system.

Rather than reworking the original, flawed, legislation we're now getting a sticky plaster fix. Typical.

And I seem to recall the training industry wanting a move back to a one test system, now they're getting it they're not happy about that either?

Reply to this Topic
chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

One test is better than 2...

Surely MCN should be happy that there will no longer be an inconvenient 2 stage test? And surely no-ones going to be daft enough to book module 1 just before the new test regime comes into effect? Come on MCN stop whinging!

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Snotty response

Ok Steve Farrell so you may have reported on this issue "years ago and it wasn't news then" but in 15 months time it will be and then you'll be whinging on about how unfair it all is - as always. The majority of people outside of the industry don't know about this and it's possible - probable -  effects. If warned, effectively, many might take their test prior to these changes and not be forced to retake tests/training several times over a number of years.

Or you could be right and it's a load of b******s that'll never happen; isn't that what you're saying? Isn't it?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices