You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Gsxr 600 odd problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Gsxr 600 odd problem

The bike is a k5 600, it has 10k on the clock.

Ive noticed the engine braking has severely decreased when i roll off the throttle like the bike is coasting far easier and that the bike can quite happily ride round at 10mph with no throttle at all and the clutch fully let out in first gear which it never could before.

The throttle isnt sticking as far as im aware, and surely that would make a noticeable difference to idle speed, idle speed is the same.

Other than this the bike rides fine, its actually nicer to ride like this but its worrying me because i dont understand what has happened haha.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 November 2011 21:27)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Could be the engine has just slackened up a bit more.

If there are no problems, then just make sure it gets serviced regularly and there shouldnt be an issue.

Reply to this Topic
lynxphin

Jan 11

lynxphin says:

Gsxr 600 odd problem

If nothing has been free'd up via servicing, ( oil change, chain lube, calipers adjusted, etc ), then be extra WARY and CAREFUL for a few weeks whilst ' keeping an eye out ' as it could in the worst case scenario be ;

Wheels Bearings   -   The future could hold a subsequent Understeer moment during hard riding

Brake calipers   -   The future could hold a subsequent loss of brake power just when you don't need that

Chain links   -   one was sticky, is now partly broken, could snap completely snagging up your chain on your leg or bike

Manually CHECK for ;

wheel wobble, brake sponginess, chain tension and condition

Listen out for new noises coming from either the engine or gearbox

If its all good, both feet up on the seat and surf the bloody thing

Reply to this Topic
Andyvfr1

Apr 10

Andyvfr1 says:

Ill give the chain a good go over tommorrow, give it a clean adjust it and lube it while im checking it for any dodgey links.

The brakes seem fine, not spongey at all, pads are getting changed after the winter though, but not done yet.

Bike feels steady when riding but ill check for any wheel wobble on the paddock stand.

It feels like the bike has less drag on it, compared to what it was it kind of feels like it has a tail wind (there was no tail wind before you say that, this is an on going thing haha)

im definaetly going to triple check the chain though because i started noticing this after a bit of drag racing between lights, the chain shouldnt be dead yet but it is certainly not new (i have a new one sat around though.)

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

engine brake

Have you any additives in the fuel?

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

easing up

When a bike starts out, everything is tight, but Most bikes loosen up over time and it just sounds like yours has finally started to come good. If the power seemed to deteriorating then I'd run a compression check as reduced engine compression would allow the bike to run on easier. Really, it takes about 10,000 miles for an engine to be at its peak. Use it or lose it.....

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Dear Mr Dabbsy

I don't know who your bike supplier is but if when I picked up a new bike and everything was tight I would be leaving the bike where it stood.

When running in a new engine it is the piston rings and bores that are being bedded in, nothing else.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices