Skip to content

Ask an Expert Rattling/lumpy engine? new bike Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Rattling/lumpy engine? new bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Rattling/lumpy engine? new bike

Hi all..will make it brief..had a 125 custom ybr, have now got 250 ybr  2009 done approx 190 klmwhen purchased so pretty new, I have been on n off the bike a few days now, only done about 50 /60 miles on it myself.But it sounds sooo very noisy!! it seems to rattle in 1/2/3 rd gear (seems ok on 4/5th)    when I set off in 1st gear it just sounds awful almost like ther are nuts and bolts in the engine (I have checked twice just to make sue there is oil in there)!!  I realise I have only jumped from a 125 to a 250 and thinking maybe I am riding wrong!  I have tried acelerating a  little more ..just in case I was labouring the engine, but it just feels really lumpy.. should I be doing something im not or is it just a case of me getting used to the noise? My friend was going to have a rid eon it for me as she has the same model.but couldnt make it today....I have lubricated he chain as its seemed a bit dry..although they do use a transparent  lubricant at my dealers.Looks liek a trip  back to the dealers..:unsure:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 November 2011 16:46)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

it will be hard for any of us to advise you here mate simply because we would need to hear the noise our selves.. take it to the dealers.

my first thought was cam chain... but it could be a few things.. dont ride it, its not safe.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

will call in dealers tomorrow

thanks for reply..now that you mention a "chain"  yes that is almost what I can now descibe it as..a chain rattling!  bit worrying if your telling me not to ride it as I was traveling at 50 for aorund 30 odd miles yesterday on busy stretch of road to Skipton!!  Im sure there is deff something loose or not right..but it being a new bike I was tending to blame my riding!  thanks again.:mellow:

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

no probs.. i had a cam chain snap on me whilst riding and it nearly put me under a lorry.. just a warning :)

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha YBR 250 2009

Hi Bikergran,see your in trouble again?:lol:

As Robsot says you should take the bike back to the dealer to check it out to be on the safe side.But i find that this model often has a noisey rattle from a loose chrome  heat shield on the exhaust,could be the problem?Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

Maybe....

I know someone who has one of these and I was startled at how noisy the engine was. Maybe you're used to a whisper quite and smooth 125?
Either way I'd agree to get the dealer to have a look, but your best bet would to be to get an experienced rider to take it out for a spin, the dealer has a vested interest in telling you everything is fine....

Reply to this Topic
bikergran

May 11

bikergran says:

Hi kcmc lol

yes it seems I am doomed lol..got my other prob sorted (it was the fuel pump) although at first they were going to change the harness, the noise is deff coming from the engine area. we will see if it is my ermm riding!! skills  or?

thanks again

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices