You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > French toll booths

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

French toll booths

I've got a reader who travelled through France this summer on his bike and used the auto-tolls for payments. He still doesn't know whether he was overcharged or not, if not, how does the machinery know that it is a bike in the first place?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (22 November 2011 16:09)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

télépéage

only works manually with bikes - ie you have to get the tickets as you enter the block, go through the ordinary lane and present your ticket and the télépéage badge together - I assume you then get charged the bike rate on your account, but basically there's no real benefit for bikers unless you need the single receipt for some reason or you have some local resident's/frequent traveller special rate. If yer man's gone through the non-stop automatic lane, it will have charged him the car rate, as the system just detects the badge, not what it's being carried in/on.

Info in French on http://www.asf-telepeage.fr/telepeage-particuliers/questions-reponses-telepeage.htm - no personal experience, always just stuck a credit card in...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
decaylus

Jan 11

decaylus says:

French Toll Booths

If he used the auto toll for payment....the ones that are signed and have a headroom barrier with a panel showing no motorcycles or cars with trailers, then he will have been charged the car rate. I have done this when in a hurry and all the others lanes are blocked knowing full well that I would be charged the car rate (ie double) at the time. The only exception to this is when you exit the auto route and the toll barrier is totally automatic, ie takes coins or cards. This one can differentiate between two and four wheels!!

Hope that answered the question for your reader!!

Reply to this Topic
TheRedBarron

Apr 09

TheRedBarron says:

French toll booths

This is a topic that has been perplexing me and I'm not sure the answers posted are entirely complete.  We have had bikes go though the same auto barrier on the way in and the same auto barrier on the way off.  Some get a car rate and some get the bike rate.  Why?

The best advice is to always go the attended booths on the way out, if of course they are available.

I understand from my french biking friends they are adept at putting two bikes through at once without setting off the alarms to counter act the double charging.

We did notice that if your helmet trips the height lazer on the way in, then you do seem to get a car ticket but other than that, still not convinced we have the answer.

Reply to this Topic
decaylus

Jan 11

decaylus says:

French Toll Booths Part II

I am a French motorcyclist and live in France and use the péage whenever forced too....If the machine is fully auto it senses two wheels and knows its a bike and charges the bike rate, if he goes through the auto pay booths were it is marked no motorcycles but takes credit cards then he is charged the car rate....have done this many times in the summer when there is a backlog of traffic in the cash lanes....it costs more but sometimes I'd rather pay the extra than sit baking in the hot sun!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices