Skip to content

Discuss This Honda NC700X first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda NC700X first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda NC700X first ride

Honda’s all-new NC700X is currently being put through its paces by MCN Chief Road Tester Trevor Franklin in Portugal. Here are his impressions so far: “Honda is promoting its new bike as a step up from a 125 for people to get their first taste of an adventure bike that is confidence-inspiring because of its stability, comfort and agility. “But the main...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 November 2011 12:33)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Sounds dull as ditch water. Bikes should be a passion, not tedious and boring. Why buy this over a scooter that has weather protection and luggage space. Another duffer from Honda. And whilst I'm at it, I saw a DN-01 at the bike show, the first one I have ever seen in the flesh. Still don't know what its for.

Reply to this Topic
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

This is a jack-of-no-trades bike. I'd rather have a Transalp.

Reply to this Topic
CarlosNeto

Nov 11

CarlosNeto says:

Max speed 194km/h

Just read that a Slovak rider reached 194km/h in the Algarve presentation. Isn't that fast enough for you?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Max Speed?

Thats the last thing this bike is supposed to be about. When you are freezing your nuts off in winter coz theres no weather protection and theres nowhere to stow your helmet when you get there, you won't be thinking 'well, at least it does 120mph'. I still say a scooter beats it hands down for practicality.

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

It'll be interesting to see how this bike sells in the UK. I'm sure it'll sell on the continent where more bikes are used as everyday transport. If you look into the technology of this bike it's actually pretty radical stuff particularly when combined the DCT gearbox.

I seriously doubt a lot of motorcyclists here will "get it" and I'm not saying that in a derogatory way, but it's just not the sort of bike that will sell or get a good press in the UK. I'm not even saying I'll like it but this is definately a fresh take on designing a bike as transport. Makes most current midsized commuters (Deauville, Vstrom, Transalp etc., Bandit) look positively stone-aged in comparision. At least Honda are trying something different, haven't seen anything radical from any of the other Japanese manufacturers for quite a while now.

Reply to this Topic
AlgarveMandM

Jan 10

AlgarveMandM says:

Honda NC700X

Last Tuesday, the 22nd, I was driving the car on the A22 motorway that runs from Spain to Sagres in the Algarve, around 5 in the evening. it was throwing it down by the bucket load and I did a little aquaplaning. I slowed to around 120Kms. when two black and white motorbikes went screaming past in the outside lane doing at least 150kms. I watched them disappear and turn off just past the Algarve Autodrome. I thought, they must have special tyres?? The road was covered in water and it was blowing a gale. I have since found out that the bikes were the new Honda NC700X. They sat in the outside lane as if there was no water at all. Without a shadow of doubt, the roadholding must be second to none, as I, being a normal biker, would never have attempted to ride that fast in those conditions. I have a Pan European 1300 and a Blackbird and know almost every bump on the A22, so I will be looking forward to test riding the new Honda as soon as possible. I take my hat off to the two riders that in a 30 second glimpse showed how good the bike and their riding skills were.

Reply to this Topic
rumbler

Apr 03

rumbler says:

Why so gutless?

With a 700cc engine why is this so slow? Must be because it's tuned for economy. Honda should take a look at what BMW can do with a similar sized parallel twin.

Reply to this Topic
gravelrashjr

Mar 11

gravelrashjr says:

Think about it

Speed is not the idea for this bike. Its for people who use their bikes for day in day out all year work in and around town but also for longer commutes. And the price supports this, its cheap enough to buy and run, whilst having another bike for the Sunday blast

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

It reminds me of a penguin. Who styles these bikes these days.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Styling?

@ sj_edinburgh - Here in the US, the comment I get most about my Deauville is "I thought it was a BMW until I saw the Honda logo".  A compliment, I guess?

If you think the UK is a bad place to sell practical motorcycles, try the US where the best sellers are cruisers that are miserable on the motorway due to wind blast, and hurt the rider's butt too much to ride far anyhow.  Note that most of the mid-size Japanese offerings are *not* sold in the US, and the Deauville is no longer imported. :(

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices