Skip to content

Discuss This 2012 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade first ride! First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2012 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade first ride!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

2012 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade first ride!

The 20th anniversary Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade is currently being put through its paces at the Portimao circuit, Portugal by MCN chief road tester Trevor Franklin. This new model now comes with Showa Big Piston front forks and a new ‘Balance Free’ rear suspension design, developed for racing. There are also a host of revisions which include the ECU and fuelling system,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 November 2011 12:23)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GIDRIDER

Nov 09

GIDRIDER says:

big bikes

Had 1 600cc bike , absolutely gutless ,sick of wringing it;s neck to get anywhere , top speed never an issue ( down the pub was a daft comment matey ,showing your age) but acceleration and " power" is what we are talking about , nothing like it . Brought up on 750's in the mid eighties when biking in Britian was in decline but have owned 1000 cc bikes now for over 20 years . CBR600 are ok , for commuting or taking your gran out for a spin but get yourself on a 1000 bike to be exilirated .))

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

All down to personal choice

No doubt it will be absolutely belting to use. I just think the issue these days is that the big sports bikes are all so good, assuming you take the time to set them up properly, tweak the gearing, etc, that unless you are using them for all out racing, the differences between them really aint that huge any more. As such things like aesthetics (shallow as they are) come into it more. This is where I think (and I know these things are always highly subjective) the blade (et al) fall down. I was looking at bikes earlier this year and tried out a blade, S1000rr and numerous others and they were all cracking bikes but all left me with no strong feelings for any of them. So I ended up going with a nice big V-twin. On paper its a far worse bike, less hp, no TC, the list goes on, plus the various early reliability issues, but it was the only one that I got off and thought "I really, really want that". It's all down to personal choice at the end of the day.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

600cc vs. 1000cc

I like my CBBR600 for the commute into work, it's much better than the blade round town, the blade feels like it's gagging to get a move on. For a weekend blast the blade is much better than the 600 and since I changed the exhaust the throttle response is razor sharp.  If you can only afford one bike maybe a GSXR750 is the way to go.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Piglet.

I've been riding and racing bikes for around 29 years and have real world experience of numerous bikes of differing capacities. I've raced in national championships, done loads of different riding (speedway, supermoto, road racing (eg Manx GP aswell as loads of UK and European tracks), trails, stunt riding, sand racing, general commuting, very high distance touring etc). I ride daily throughout the year and my comments are based on my first hand experience.

Your NTV is hardly likely to be quicker or more powerful than your CBR so can't be used as a comparison between 600cc sportsbikes and 1000cc sportsbikes. I'm used to bikes with loads more midrange and power than 600cc bikes (I've raced 1000cc bikes on tracks aswell as using them on the road). Once you're comfortable with bikes that have lots more oomph than a 600cc bike you might change your opinion (by the way is your opinion based on first hand experience??)

Mattiboy, What did you get in the end?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Spondonste

Got a nice cheap new RC8 (they are even cheaper now).

As I say, it was a heart rather than a head decision, and they certainly aren't to all people's tastes. 

But it put the biggest grin on my face, so I got it

Reply to this Topic
ringmad

May 08

ringmad says:

ha ha ha

congrats mattiboy on the rc-8 , very nice bike and different and quirky eh but with good engineering / racing pedigree as well , and piglet , a cbr 600 f , whatever variant and an nvt 700 are hardly a comparison to even a 600 modern sportsbike , so with mr spondonsites extensive road / track experience i reckon he knows what hes talking about and you most defenitely , neither have a few judging by the replys on here EVER  been on a blade when its been on full chat [ on the track obviously officer ] , especially racing another one or another litre bike .  

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Reading comprehension?

@ Spondonste - Er, I never claimed my NT700V was comparable in speed to my CBR600F4i - actually the two are quite similar as long as the CBR is kept under 8,000 rpm, but the CBR is subjectively (and objectively) much faster when wrung out.  My point was, unless you can only afford one bike, why would anyone use a sportbike for commuting, touring, or 2-up riding when there are better alternative for the latter?  And yes, if I want to go faster on a bike for long-distances than the NT700V is capable, the ST1300 and "Connie" 1400 are out there (among others), and would be much better than the Fireblade for 1,000 mile riding days (I have friends that live 3,000+ miles away - the US and Canada combined are obviously much larger than the UK or Continental Europe).

But hey, if you are one of those supermen who find a bike that will exceed 100 mph in first gear useful on the street, have the telepathic ability to avoid traffic police, can pack everything you need for a month in a small soft bag, and are comfortable on a race-replica bike for 12+ hours a day, then yes, the Fireblade might just be your ideal all around bike.  Us mere mortals will be better off with something else as an all-rounder.

Reply to this Topic
gravy1

Apr 06

gravy1 says:

grip anyone ?

If you google 2012 fireblade and Portimao you'll get many jornos reports of lack of grip (the very thing the forks and tyres are specifically designed to improve (scratches head)) and grip only improving AFTER the R10 tyres were put on for the afternoon session. My local dealer only puts on dunlops as he said it increases sales after the test ride and they'll happily put on bridgestone s20's.... if that's what the customer really wants.......

Reply to this Topic
gravy1

Apr 06

gravy1 says:

differences

after reading every review I can find in the last 8 weeks it appears the difference from last year is cosmetics (bodywork, heavier wheels and dash) and suspension... the nose looks a little better but after 4 years the old one had grown on me ( no pinnochio jokes please ;-) ) rev counter a little harder to notice at a glance and a gear indicator (huge applause) some race nonsense lap timer (whistle and bell that will get less than 1% use). Suspension slightly better under braking and slightly too hard on the road in the wet. Engine mapping (which I assume a power commander on the previous model might achieve) is set to even the power and make the surge less noticeable it will dull the straights but increase the confidence on the bends. USA 2012 blades are under £8800 ($13800) here they're £11300 with pre reg new 2011's under £9995 (less, if you want to haggle because bikes aren't selling). which raises the question "if you can save 20% off the price of a 2012 blade by buying a 2011 blade... is the new model 20% better ?" my guess is definitely no. The differences are so underwhelming that even if the new model is perceived as better it will still be seen as an improvement of less than 5%

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices