You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > cbx 750

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

wooders750

Nov 11

wooders750 says:

cbx 750

heelo there, i've just got an 86 reg cbx 750, my problem is that when i try to ride it after letting it warm up the middle two cylinders splutter then cut out , i give it two mins and it is fine untill i try to ride it. HELP is it poss the coils or leads, or do i have to pull the carbs apart? please help as i bought this as a " good bike " and when i got it delivered to my place and ran it up i found four blowing head to exhausts and a sump that has dumped half it's oil over my drive. THANKS DAVE FROM Bournemouth, Really need help. Wooders.:upset::mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (24 November 2011 16:39)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

Have you checked HT cap connections?? are those cylinders running off the same coil?? i dont know this bike.. bet someone on here will though!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

good bike?

Get your money back.If you have two coils one for 1/4 cyl and one for 2/3cyl.I would do a compression test first,then valve clearances (if not hydraulic) and a full service.

Oh and welcome with a dog maybe.:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

CBX750

I always liked those.  The engine, in theorey, was deemed to be low maintenance with hydraulic valves and a camchain tensioner that actually worked. 

Sorry to say it but it sounds as if your example hasn't been particularly well looked-after.  They are mechanically robust though so I hope it's nothing major.  Have a look at the coils as suggested by Jaffa and then check the carbs.   

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CBX 750 1986

Hi Wooders750 and welcome to the sit:smile

Unfortunately it sounds like you have bought a bit of a pig in a poke?but you must remember the bike is now 25 years old(quarter of a century)so things do start to go wrong,its inevitable.Are you sure its the two middle cylinders and not one?.If you decide to keep the bike,then check the coil for 2and 3 cylinder,the HT leads,plug caps,if the problem isn't there then check the twin pulse pick ups as i know this to be one of the few faults this bike had back in its day.Also check the plug connector from the main loom to the coils(check for corrosion and continuity)as it is a separate piece of loom.Drain the carb float bowls into a clean bowl to seen if there is any water or debris in there?if there is there could be water in the fuel tank as well.Check the vacuum pipe from the fuel tap is fitted and not split or leaking.Check the sump nut hasn't been over tightened and stripped the thread or worse split the aluminium around the sump,if not replace the sump nut crush washer or fit a copper washer. Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
fj1200alf

Dec 11

fj1200alf says:

CBX 750

have myself the same problem. If it is not the coil, it could be dirty carbs. The debriss stuck the float bowl valves The check is easy: put an auxiliary deposit (a sringe, i.e.) attached to the fuel hose. It is not necessary start the bike. If petrol start to overflow, the valves are collapsed with rubbish Clean carefully with compressed air the dismounted carbs. If not, your nightmare will continue Visit my web for more info www.fj1200.info or join to the friendly teamrc17 mail list http://www.teamrc17.net/ Regards

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices