Skip to content

General Calling All Bikers wkg 4 Public Services - Protest on Your Bikes Tomorrow! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Calling All Bikers wkg 4 Public Services - Protest on Your Bikes Tomorrow!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

tiamo69

Sep 04

tiamo69 says:

Calling All Bikers wkg 4 Public Services - Protest on Your Bikes Tomorrow!

This is a Call Out to ALL Bikers who either work in the Public Sector Or who have Family & Friends working in this sector & Who Want To Help / Support tomorrow's 'TUC PENSIONS DAY OF ACTION'.

I'm proposing that Bikers in favour of tomorrow, meet up around the Country & do 'slow rides' through their towns & cities, piping their horns & showing their support as they pass Picket Lines before moving on to their local Rally, where there visible presence would be a great addition to the Rallies.

I apologise for the short notice but if anyone is interested in this idea, lets start brain storming.

NB: i've spoken with Regional Officers at UNISON West Midlands & they like the idea & would welcome our support. I think that we need to do something different togive tomorrow's protest as much publicity as possible.

1) Normal Public Sector Pensions Are Not Gold Plated!

Avg Pensions, after 30-40 years of Employee & Employer Contributions are between £4 & £7,000 PA.

The Only Gold Plated Pensions belong to Directors & people like Francis Maude!

2) Public Sector Workers have voluntarily agreed to have their Pay Frozen for 2 years, while the cost of living continues to increase.

The Banking / Financial Industry which caused the Worldwide Economic crisis were back paying out ridiculous bonuses within 12 months of the collapse. Bonuses which are 100 times bigger than most Public Service Annual Pensions!

Now we're being asked to increase our contributions by up to 3%, which is an Inflation Busting 50% increase.

DOES THIS 50% INCREASE IMPROVE OUR BENEFITS?

NO, not even by a single penny!

Every bit of the increase goes directly to the Treasury to off set the mess caused by the Bankers.  

3) Pension Rate Change from RPI - CPI

this change was brought in by the Chancellor to save money & with no consultation whatsoever.

It affects everyone from existing Pensioners to those saving for their Retirement & means that our Annual Pensions will be worse of by 0.3% per year; this means that those Pensioners already struggling to make ends meet are now over £100 worse off every year, without factoring in the inflation busting increases to Fuel etc!

4) On top of the Pay Freeze, many Public Sector workers have been forced into accepting new contracts, for more work & less pay or face having their jobs cut.

What the Government isn't telling you is this:

These Changes (RPI-CPI; Pay Freeze; 2008 Pensions Review) are already saving the Treasury Billions of Pounds every year...

Our Pensions also save the Gvt Billions in Benefits & give our workers dignity in their retirement!

So why are the people who serve our communities being attacked... Because we are  considered easy targets & the ConDem Government loathes the Public Service.

Your Nurses, Paramedics, Emergency Services Support Staff (Police  / Fire), Teachers, Classroom Assistants, Social Workers etc, etc are all being actively attacked by this Government & tomorrow is the Day to Draw that Line in the Sand & Stand Up for Our Rights.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 November 2011 09:23)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

public v priv

Im going to add to this..As a country we dont need to make a profit,we just need to be able to pay for our essential services,care for elderly etc...with a bit spare for a rainy day..these hairy fairy workers (Ii know everyone needs a job) should be employed (and once would have been) by the nationalised industries   rail/water/elect//BT all the things that are essential should be owned by the state(people) but with good managers..take them back...we were once all equal shareholders in these companies...it would be difficult I know but can be done without dinosaur union bosses..or stupid managers...no doubt theres a thousand reasons why you "cant do it"and only one reason why you should..IT makes sense!Plain english from an englishman.NOT a frig..sociologist...just go for it.

Reply to this Topic
Quicksilverwing

Apr 08

Baza blue

Do you seriously want to go back to the days of British Leyland? 

Or maybe the three day week? Winter of discontent?
The unions wield far too much power now, let alone with nationalised industry!
What I want to know is how can an overall turnout of 31% before the result is taken, possibly be a mandate to strike, surely that means 69% abstained the ballot.
Fine during a general election but not when you propose to stop the country!
Unfortunately the members of the unions are mistakenly believing this is about pensions, when their leaders are involved in one thing and that is bring down the government!
Ashame they don't see the fire for the smoke, because a labour government would have cut just as deep if not deeper, once the money from trying to borrow their way out dried up of course!!!

Reply to this Topic
Quicksilverwing

Apr 08

Ps

Ride safe peeps we is all bikers on here:-)

Reply to this Topic
PensionerBiker

Sep 11

Eh, I think not

Slowlearner.

You say "Public sector wages are frozen for the third year running, and aren't exactly great for the vast majority.   My wife's a nurse, she can look forward to a pension of about £4000-5000 in another 25 years.   Hot stuff eh?"

Now, I am not an expert on the NHS Pension scheme, but, I believe that roughly speaking, for every year of service you get 1/80th of your final salary as a pension. So, forgetting about any previous service, at retirement age, with 25 years service your wife will get 25 80ths of her final salary. I assume the £4000-5000 you quote is at todays rates, ie not adjusted for inflation. So, according to my maths (not my strongest subject I grant you), this means your wife's current salary is £14,400 per year. To arrive at this figure, I have taken the middle of your range (£4500), divided by 25 (to give 1/80th) and multiplied by 80 (to give 80/80ths). Now even I know that a full time qualified nurse earns more than that (I have two daughters who are nurses), so I think your "facts" are a little misleading. If we take another example, a public sector worker who starts work at 25 and works until 65, earning the national average wage (£26,000pa I believe), they would get a pension of £13,000pa (plus of course their state pension), my calculation for this is 40 years service, so 40/80ths of final salary (£26,000pa). I have ignored price and wage inflation throughout, since my maths is not upto those calculations. In addition to my nursing daughters, I also have a daughter who is a maths teacher in a local comprehensive school. She is "just" a teacher, not a department head, or any other frill or extra. She earns £42,000pa. Sheis now 39 and has been working since she was 25, with a small amount of time off to give birth to two children (say 3 years). So, I am not sure what her expected pension age will be, but let us say it is 68.  This will give her 40 years service so 40/80ths of £42,000 ie £21,000 plus her state pension (at current rates c£5148pa). In all of these figures, I have ignored the tax free lump sum which can be taken on retirement.

The actual pensions amounts described above are only slightly better than could be expected in a private sector final salary scheme. BUT, and it is a big BUT, the effect of early retirement and of index linking after retirement is significantly better in the public sector.

Again taking a teacher as an example, one of my relations through marriage has just retired at age 58 for her teaching job. She had to take a hit of 5% of her pension for each year of early retirement before current teachers pension age (ie 60). In the private sector (as I know from personal experience), the hit would be nearer 10% for each year of early retirement. I have several other friends and relations who as public sector workers (local council mostly), have been given even more generous packages, some "retiring" as young as 50. The record in my circle of acquaintences is one of my wife's school friends who was a teacher and "retired" at 45!

Now, I take your point, at least I think it was your point about not being hoodwinked in trying to drag the public sector workers down to the level of us past or present private sector workers. I have seen the placards reading "fair pensions for ALL". But that is most definately NOT what this strike is about. It is about maintaining an advantage for the public sector. If it was about fair pensions for ALL, the public sector would be accepting a freeze, or smaller increases while the rest of us caught up. Now, I may have missed that in the many hours of coverage on TV and in the newspapers, but I think not.

Reply to this Topic
thebigpicture

Apr 11

SlowLearner

The public sector is today is massive and an overwhelming drag on finances. Brown expanded it in his years to boost employment without thought of the cost implications in the future (as he as many thought the boom would never end) Front line workers need to be maintained (even increased) these represent a very small part of the public sector though. The majority of public sector jobs are not front line, many of them are non jobs, jobs created to push paper about and fill in forms. These are the jobs that need a bloody good cull to free up funds for the jobs that actually do something.

The public sector does not contribute to the wealth of the country, it can't, its paid for by the private sector via government. The tax the public sector pays is nothing more than a rebate to government as they have paid the wages in the first place. Yes of course we need the public sector, but not on this scale.  

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

unions

quicksilver....i never suggested that at all...see dinosaur unions...I was in a job with no union and at times it would have been usefull but it never had to be confrontational....

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

pensioner biker

ps    if she takes any lump sum it comes off her annual pension. it doesnt pay to unless ill health!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
justanotherbiker

Sep 11

Holy F..k,

This is a MOTOR CYCLE NEWS forum not party parliment, just join the real world and get on with it like the majority, oh no sorry, are the private sector the majority or the minority?:mad:

Reply to this Topic
muncemeister

Oct 11

muncemeister says:

Venom

Peace and love everybody!:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

something similar on "over 18's

It 's good that although we all have different views we all share the same passion and as long as it doesn't get personal then it's all good. I daresay some of the views we might disagree on  one topic we might share the same on another

It shows we are a bunch of intelligent people with lot s of heart and soul.:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices