Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Ozzy2k65

Nov 11

Ozzy2k65 says:

YBR125 2005 Start Up

Hi All,

Purchased a 2005 YBR to start off on after passing my CBT 2 weeks ago.  Late starter, but caught the bug after a free Get On ride.  However, my YBR has a problem on starting.  It has a manual choke, which I open on starting then reduce down asap.  However, if I bring it down too soon it cuts out.  Also, if I touch the throttle it can cut out.  It can take 5-10 minutes to be warm enough and safe enough to pull off and not risk it cutting out when you have to stop.  Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oz

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 November 2011 15:11)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Yamaha YBR 125 2005

Hi Ozzy2k65 and welcome to the site:smile

Unfortunately this modal is like this,it is set up to run very lean on the mixture and they do take a very long time to warm up(especially in cold weather that i think you are experiencing in the UK).If the problem is extremely chronic then it could need the carb cleaning as the slightest amount of debris would cause endless problems.If you end up having the carb cleaned and it doesn't solve the problem,it could be worth increasing the size of the pilot jet 5 or 10 to cure the problem.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mixture

As kcmc says,it`s the great e.e.c. emissions regulations giving a weak mixture on the pilot feed.It could have an air mixture screw,or as kcmc says a bigger jet needed.

You can set off on half choke after warming the engine and shutting it off after a couple of miles.   

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

Ride with the choke on!

Reading your post you seem to be saying that you start on the choke then turn the choke off and try and ride away, at which point you have the cutting out problems.
You can (and should) ride away with the choke on. Start the bike on the choke, warm it a little (less than a minute) then ride away. As the engine warms up you'll gradually reduce the choke until the engine idles without it.
On my 650 Single I start on full choke, then ride on half choke for a mile or so, If I shut the choke before that it won't tick over and it cuts out on downchanges.

Reply to this Topic
Ozzy2k65

Nov 11

Ozzy2k65 says:

Thanks so far...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice.  The only problem with riding with the choke on, is finding a good stopping point to reduce it down, as its location is not ideal (Next to the engine).  But I will try, and see how that goes.  Is the carb clean something I could take on myself?  I have both the service manual and Haynes manual, and it looks manageable given my limited mechanical knowledge :biggrin:  I have also ordered a CR6HiX iridum plug to put on, as I have been advised that will also help with the starting and mpg too.  I have noticed the bulbs aren't great at chucking out a lot of light in these dark nights, any recommendations for a good bright bulb that won't drain the battery too much?

Thanks

Oz

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mixture

The irridium plug should be a little better for a weak mixture.

In your Haynes manual is there a pilot mixture air screw ?

It may state that it`s capped due to the e.e.c. emissions crap. 

Reply to this Topic
Ozzy2k65

Nov 11

Ozzy2k65 says:

Air mixture screw & bulbs

There is an air mixture screw that can be adjusted.  Do I need to warm the engine up 1st to determine the warm idling speed to adjust within the recommended boundaries?

Also, any advice on decent bulbs?

Cheers

Oz

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

air screw

Providing you don`t have any unwanted air going in inbetween the carb and engine, warm the engine up and remember which way and how many half turns your doing,it should only take half a turn to strangle the air to get a faster tick over which you should slow down after but what you want is to be able to blip the throttle without any hesitation on the weakest mixture.

Oh bulbs,go in google for 30% 50% brighter headlight bulbs. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

I am a clone :D

My Lexmoto street is a clone of yours and I have the same 'issue', start on full choke, half choke then as I let the choke off I have to 'catch' the revs with the throttle or it will die on me. At lights I sit and gently rev it to about 2000-2500 to keep it ticking over, I did have it cut out once at lights after about 300m of riding :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

RIDE WITH THE CHOKE ON!!

SORRY TO SHOUT! There's nothing wrong with either of these bikes, you just need to use the choke as it was intended to be used.
Until the engine is warmed up it won't idle properly, that's how the universe works. Don't start messing around with jets and screws, all you do is make it worse.

Reply to this Topic
Ozzy2k65

Nov 11

Ozzy2k65 says:

Update, thanks, 1 more question please :)

Thanks for the advice all, it is appreciated.  I am putting in a new irridium plug, new battery, and new speedo gearing this weekend to fix a few probs.  One issue I have noticed is with the indicators, and I'm not sure if this is linked to the battery.  The indicators this morning were staying permanently on when my lights were on low, and when on high flashing manically!!  I know the battery is shot, elec start does not even get close to powering the startup....Any ideas?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices