Skip to content

Ask an Expert First big bike - SV650S? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First big bike - SV650S?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

newbington

Nov 11

newbington says:

First big bike - SV650S?

I'm in the process of doing my A2 licence as I can't do my DAS :upset:

Obviously this means I'm restricted to 33BHP for the next 2 years, so it leaves some debate as to what to have for my first 'big bike'. A lot of people have suggested going for 250, such as the 250r etc as they are already at 33hp, but after a year on the 125 I don't think I can stand spending the next few years on such a small bike....

As a result I was looking at the 600cc mark, thinking of getting a restrictor kit on it for 2 years then taking it off and getting its full power out again. I'm really interested in the Suzuki SV650S, they seem to be relatively cheap and within my budget, not too sporty and said to be comfortable, useful for my 40 mile a day commute.

Can anyone give me some advice? Has anyone had a restriced SV??

Thanks,
Josh

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 November 2011 00:37)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I have reidden a restricted SV, and I was quite surprised to be honest. They go pretty well. And there is a reason for it.

The twin cylinder bikes are better for restricting.  Due to the nature of most of the restrictions, i.e cutting air flow or throttle movement, the bike does not get so strangled as a 4 cylinder machine as it makes a good dollop of its power low down in the rev range.  The 4 cylinder machines tend to make their power higher up in the rev range, and if those revs are restricted, then they cant produce any meaningfull power.

I also rode a restricted ER6 which also went well.  The SV or the ER6 are probably two of the best bikes to restrict, and will quite happily hustle down the back roads at 1**mph. :wink:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Check your insurance...

If you want an Suzuki SV you are probably better off buying one rather than buying a 250R and then selling it again. The 250R is a game little thing but has no low end grunt. It has to be thrashed all the time to keep ahead of traffic particularly accelerating from 30 or so to 65 or so Ironically it can hold 70/80 really well and seems to accelerate well enough up to that from 60 its just keeping ahead of traffic on those fast A roads from roundabouts etc. Its also smaller than a SV/ER6 and I found it was more expensive to insure.
I have never ridden a restricted SV (or ER6) BUT when I had my 250R I remember a SV that must have been restricted really struggling to get past me on a windy day. I had plenty of torque to hold or accelerate past 70 (and more) but he seemed to be unable to get past me without ducking down behind the screen and he just crawled past me looking very vulnerable...
I view the SV riding position as being fairly sporty. If you are doing a lot of town work you will feel it on your arms and hands. The ER6F (or CBF600SA or FZ6 for that matter) in comparison is more sit up and the distance to the floor is lower. In the end its what you want...
Check your insurance on any bike before considering it and get an exact quote for the bike you are looking at before you buy one... (I didn't which is why when I exchanged my ER6 for a 250R I was shocked when my insurance tripled).

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

what year were you thinking of getting mate??  had an 09 SV650S as a courtesy bike (unrestricted) and it was loads of fun.. great on the little back roads at night as the lights are very good.

Reply to this Topic
newbington

Nov 11

newbington says:

Well...

Insurance is about 550 TPFT, pretty good for an 18 year old with only one year's no claims. I've seen the ER6 around ebay and autotrader but can't seem to find one under about 2500 quid...so out of my budget. I'm looking at getting a 2003 SV or older, so they have the new dash and fuel injection, after a year on a carb I might just kill someone if I have to deal with another one!

Reply to this Topic
rich88

Aug 10

rich88 says:

sv650!

i couldnt reccoment the sv650 more!
it was my first big bike (unrestricted) and its been amazing!

check out the sv650 forums for more advice on restricting etc....

it just so happens im selling mine too lol
check it out here....

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=174328

how can you say no to that thing :P

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

YES YES YES YES YES

Ive had an SV650 for over a year and its a great bike.

Had a CBF600 as a courtesy bike for a couple of weeks and it wasn't good. 

It accelerated well at high rpm but conversely the SV will punch straight out of any junctions or any overtakes from 2000 right up to 7000 rpm.

Reply to this Topic
ste birc

Aug 07

ste birc says:

newbington

A friend of mine had a CBR 600F restricted to 33bhp. If a sportsbike is what your looking for maybe this a option?

With the SV being a twin the power and torque comes from the low rpm range like others have said.

I never riden my friends CBR but I guess it would be struggling where the SV will dominate when restricted but the CBR when de-restricted after 2 years will come near 100bhp and thats when it will dominate the SV.

Tbh if i rode a SV for 2 years I would enjoy it more than the CBR as restricted. After 2 years I would be looking to swap the SV for something more powerfull.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices