Skip to content

Discuss This Kawasaki Versys 1000 first ride First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Kawasaki Versys 1000 first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Kawasaki Versys 1000 first ride

The new Kawasaki Versys 1000 is currently being tested by MCN out in Tenerife. Here is Senior Road Tester Adam Child’s first impressions: “Putting its looks to one side for a moment – beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all – my immediate first impression of the new Versys 1000 is that it’s engine is a peach.” “The four-cylinder...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 November 2011 09:52)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I'm sure it will be a great bike...but why oh why does it have to be so damn ugly. It makes the 650 Versys look like the sexiest bike on earth (and I've owned a Versys 650, was an awesome bike). I also think they should have used a parrallele twin instead of the inline 4 engine.

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

A Real World "Adventure" Bike ?

Lets face it, how many GS owners go off road, how many triumph tigers varadero's etc etc will go off road, really ?

Exactly - very little. I think kawasaki approached this correctly - just build an adventure type bike for on road riding = versys 1000.  I have heard a month or so ago this bike is very comfortable and has decent handling.

I am a little miffed by the 3 way traction control system, Overkill !! 

Give me a model without traction control and lower the price there right off. Simples. Apart from that i like it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

hmmm

Fair play to put looks aside Adam. I've just criticised the Honda for looking like a penguin despite it having a good review by Trev but looks do have a big part to play for the buying public. It doesn't matter how much performance (I'm not talking max bhp and top speed here) a bike has, it needs to have appeal.

I'm not getting excited about the big Versys because I never liked its little brother and this isn't going to tempt me. I've been a big Kwak fan in the past but sorry Kawasaki, this just doesn't do it for me.

What does strike me here is Japan is producing some ugly bikes these days and Europe is producing some lovely looking, great performing bikes.

There are, as always, exceptions to this generalisation. I refer to the BMW R1200GS. Once considered a fat, pig ugly, mother-in-law of a bike in it's early days but now considered an adventure bike and held in high esteem, though I still look at it and think Frankenstein and the Honda Fireblade which has just got better and sexier with age.

On the whole though (GS and Blade argument aside), Europe is producing some great looking bikes that perform brilliantly and I don't even consider Japanese bikes anymore because they are too expensive and too ugly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tezakalogreza

Nov 11

Adam, posing like this, you are a legend!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Both are .....

Not the best looking to be fair...

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Pig ugly,needs a shave

Not the best of shots.It does look better than this.Like has been said the majority of  these bikes will at the most only see a grass verge and so this will sell.I noticed when i tried the Tiger 800 a slight delay in turning with the 19inch front wheel so for me no point in buying as i had no intension going off road.Prefer a more road focused bike like this.Also has been said get rid of TC and bring the price down

Reply to this Topic
mcgroital

Aug 02

mcgroital says:

Sounds promising. Does anybody else think it looks like a prototype, a bit unfinished looking maybe?

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

The Looks ?

It aint that bad, i think ppl are blowing it it of proportion.

It doesnt have to be all sharp and pointy these days. ANyway, you wont see it when you're riding it.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

European or Japanese?

@ kl595 - What category does a bike such as the Deauville fall into, since it is from a Japanese company, but designed for and built in Europe?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Gravel?

Do these AT bikes do any better on gravel than standard touring bikes?  Not going to be riding hardcore single-track trails, but lots of gravel roads where I live, and the Deauville is not the most confidence inspiring on loose stuff.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices