Skip to content

Discuss This 10 bad ideas that made great bikes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > 10 bad ideas that made great bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

10 bad ideas that made great bikes

When Ducati set out to build the 1199 – the most extreme superbike it could envisage – it did everything but address the bad idea at its core. With good reason. The firm’s L-twin engine layout is one of many examples of the rationally wrong ways of doing things that have characterised so many of our most- loved bikes. Porsche’s 911...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 November 2011 10:30)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Externalities, Resonance and Pretense

2-strokes are fine, if you do not mind fouling other person's air with noxious emissions and noise. Good riddance, I say.

Another issue with the Ducati design is the desmodromic valve actuation, which became obsolete the day computational power allowed the engineers to design camshaft profiles and valve springs that eliminated resonance in the engine operating range. Since the higher-revving 4-cylinder competition does fine with spring closed valves, desmodromic actuation on the slower-revving L-twin is just an affectation.

As for Harley-Davidson, what UK readers may not realize is that H-D is more of a religion in the US than anything else. The most tiresome are those owners who believe that H-D’s are superior to other motorcycles in engineering and performance, and will not accept factual evidence to the contrary. Adding insult to injury, H-D owners also pretend to be 1% MC bikers, and behave in anti-social ways (e.g. straight pipes) when they put on the pirate outfit to play biker on the weekends.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Piggles. I was forgetting the lovely smell of two stroke blue haze. I feel high just mentioning it. OK , the fuel economy wasn't great but evolution has a way of ironing out these small imperfections.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

V4 motors

Had a Vfr800 & found it heavy on fuel and limited on performance, after trying to make sense of it I came to the conclusion that a good 600cc fazer could do anything the VFR could, if you wanted to go bigger a blackbird made loads more sense particularly in fuel range and over taking power.  Other problem being that even though the VFR was expensive Honda used poor quality exhaust pipes possibly one of the hardest jobs on a bike(swapping exhaust) no such problem on the blackbird. Then honda released the Vtech VFR800 I took a look the Honda tech told me every 16K the Vtech had to be serviced that meant taking the engine out. Only thing I will say is the high level remus can did sound good. V4 Suzuki moto gp never really worked,Honda RVF750 struggled in WSB and had to have lots of money thrown at. On the positive side the VFR400 was good although expensive &  the Pan euro being the best place for a V4 but turned 90 degrees in the frame.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Why not..

2 stroke 1000cc?

:blink:

That could be good...

Who doesn't want blue smoke out of the exhaust, anyway?

Its the best smell in the universe.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I'm surprised tha MCN forgot

to mention the Telelever front end of the BMW bikes. It always draws criticism from journalists who complain of a lack of feel for the front, but personally I like its anti-dive characterisitics more than anything. On something the size and type of an R1200GS, they forget that it's not a sports bike, and that front end feel is not a real necessity. If it had coventional long travel forks, a bike of its weight would dive horribly under braking, so for me it's the right tool for the job. In fact, I would venture to say that the Telelever front is what makes the R1200GS handle better that the competion, with perhaps the exception being the Multistrada, but then no one in their right mind would take that off road.

It's perhaps a little misplaced on the K1200S or K1300S, but that being said there are plenty of fans.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

re- CBRJGWRR

I would love to see a 1000cc two stroke it would have the ability to produce over 300bhp and still maintain a decent weight. Moto Guzzi tried to develop a 1000cc two stroke it killed the test rider the first time out then they lost interest.

Reply to this Topic
emailrobertcena

Dec 11

From one end 10 Bad idea is responsible for whole bike rider who were killed. Actually I would eagerly love to see a 1000cc two stroke it would have the ability to produce over 300bhp and still maintain a decent weight.
from other hand it is good to earn money and easiest way to earn more and more profit.Thanks for sharing information regarding 10 bad ideas that made great bikes.  used bikes for sale

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Ohhh.

I didn't think anybody had been daft or brave enough to try so far.

It is one of those things which you just think "Nutter..."

Only 300 bhp? Why not try for 600 bhp?

No one would ride a 1000cc 2 stroke anyway - its power output doesn't matter, the whole concept is scary.

The old 500's exited every corner somewhere between sideways and backwards, imagine what twice the madness would do...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle