You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Aprilia electrical problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia electrical problem

I have  a 2004 Aprilia RSV Factory. Twice I have broken down with an electrical problem. I thought I had solved it after the first breakdown. But I haven't. When I am driving hard at 6000 revs and above a misfire starts and gradually gets worse and stops. Then the bike won't start with the battery reading 11.8 volts. After recharging battery the bike starts and sounds like it's running normally.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 November 2011 10:49)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

Reg / Rec

Sounds like your reg/rec is breaking down, at high revs when the alternator output is high it's letting AC through the loom.
When you recharge the battery it works again for a while until the next time the battery gets killed by the AC

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

it does sound a bit 'reg/rec'y' how old is your battery?? 

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia electrical problems

The battery is good. Its was new 10 months ago and I always keep on the Optimate when parked in garage.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Aprilia RSV 1000 Factory 2004

Hi Roearn

It's no good saying the battery is OK just because its 10 months old.If you have an electrical fault like Ranorthe says,a new battery can be damaged within a very short time.As pointed out if you reg/rec is allowing AC alternating current to charge your battery and your battery is DC direct currant then it will have been damaged. Take the battery off,put it on charge,when fully charged leave to stand for at least two hours,then check the voltage with a volt meter.If your battery is reading less than 12.5 volts then its damaged and probably wont hold a charge and will have little amps cranking power.If it shows 12.5volts to 12.8volts after the two hours then its probably OK.So you will need to check the charging system,i don't think the reg/rec is producing AC to the battery as this usually cooks the battery which is quite obvious (deformed battery getting very very hot and sometimes blowing the sealed top off very messy)Its probably the reg/rec just broken down and not passing any charge to the battery.First check all your fuses,and replace any blown ones if any,then start the bike(after you have done the battery check,and the battery is good)If you are getting  less than 13.5volts DC at idle on your volt meter you have a problem,ideal  it should read 14.5volts if the battery and charge system are working perfect.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

P.S. the reason you charge the battery and the bike runs,then starts miss firing is you are running a total loss system if the battery isn't charging.Soon as the battery runs below 11 volts or so the ECU stops working so it stops:smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Thanks kcmc, Shall have a go at this on the weekend.

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

It took longer than a weekend to find but the 3 pin multipin electrical connection between the rectifier and the alternator has melted. It took me a time to find this connection, but after a good deal of stripping down I found it in the Vee of the engine. To date I have just removed this connection to the rectifier. The insulation to this wiring is intact it is just the plastic connector that has melted big time. I have tested the rectifier and this seems to be OK, giving the resistance values it should. I have yet to check the output from the alternator. But should this wire be running through the Vee of the engine and close to the engine. Is it possible the heat of the engine has caused this damage?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

jaffa90, It could very well be the same problem. The connector shown in the link is the same as mine.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Melted connector.

Like the guy in Jaffa's link I spotted the melted connector on my Kawasaki whilst tinkering. There had been no symptoms. Like you my first thought was that the heat of the engine had done the damage but that's wrong.

Connectors are as critical a part of the charging system as the rest. Over time they may gather dirt and corrosion. The resulting electrical resistance will create alot of heat inside the plug and can melt it as you've seen.

If you're lucky, as I was with the Kawasaki, that electrical resistance won't yet have damaged the other components (-by making them work harder).

If you're going to replace the connector I heartily recommend EasternBeaver.com  (-and not for the first time on this forum. If they're reading this I'd like some of those new stickers please :winkie:)

Reply to this Topic
BazRSV

Nov 11

BazRSV says:

charge issues

Theres a few issues with the milles unfortunately,lot of little things to do to help with startin an charging issues.

i would suggest following that link to the zone or ask on apriliaperformance forum.between the two places ive sorted up my old mille great :)

oh an dont keep tryin to fire her up cuz if it kicks back to often your sprag clutch will go :shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices