You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Aprilia electrical problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia electrical problem

I have  a 2004 Aprilia RSV Factory. Twice I have broken down with an electrical problem. I thought I had solved it after the first breakdown. But I haven't. When I am driving hard at 6000 revs and above a misfire starts and gradually gets worse and stops. Then the bike won't start with the battery reading 11.8 volts. After recharging battery the bike starts and sounds like it's running normally.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 November 2011 10:49)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia electrical problems.

Great. I was actively looking for connectors and not getting very far, so this advice is timely and well accepted. I am looking to re-route the wiring on the outside of the engine and make it more accessible. After talking to some electrical engineer I had started to come to the conclusion that it was not the heat of the engine was the problem. Your reply confirms the problem with the connectors. Thanks very much .

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia electrical problems

It looks like I have got to the origin of my problems. After stripping everything down and removing the alternator I was checking the resistance of the three leads coming from the alternator. I cleaned up the tab connectors with emery cloth where the connectors had melted and was getting much higher resistance than the 0.5 ohms I should have been. I was getting unsteady readings ranging from 10 to 30 ohms. So I cleaned up the wires just passed the connectors and got the correct 0.5 ohms on the three wires. So the resistance was occurring where the tab connectors were crimped onto the wires. I have started to rewire with a kit from easternbeaver.com, which james600zx recommended and I too can recommend this site. Thanks for all the comments .:lol:

Reply to this Topic
roearn

Apr 10

roearn says:

Aprilia Electrical Problems

:smileAs a follow up to all the electrical problems I have had I'd like to post some other problems that were affecting the bike. I eventually changed the regulator/rectifier, which made a difference, but occasional misfire still occurred. The previous owner had fitted a Datatool Alarm System which affected the idle speed and he had fitted a Speed Camera warning system. I have removed both of these and (touch wood) I have done 500 miles without missing a beat. I am gradually extending my journey lengths and becoming more confident with this bike.

Thanks for the advice from All.

Regards,

roaern

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices