Skip to content

Discuss This Honda NC700X: A brave new world First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda NC700X: A brave new world

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda NC700X: A brave new world

The NC700X is the latest 'crossover' bike from the stable of Crossrunner and Crosstourer. But what sets the NC700X apart is a price of £5850 and a claimed 78.8mpg. The subdued exhaust note, flush-fitting panels and perfect peg-to-seat-to-handlebar riding position tells you this is a Honda. Honda makes a big deal about the NC's slim build and how it aids city riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 December 2011 17:01)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

218kgs?!!!!!!

This bike is supposed to be for commuters and its around the same weight as my Sprint ST 1050? It has no weather protection worth mentioning, has room for one helmet under the seat and, according to journalists, has a gutless engine which only revs to 6000! It would be interesting to pick another middleweight bike and ride it, not going over 6000rpm and see how fuel consumption compares. I think a 250 or 400 scooter would be a better bet but I will reserve judgement until I see the road tests. Was this designed by the same guy who designed the DN 01?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

not for me thanks.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

Obese

How on earth can this weigh 218kg's?:shock:

Have they filled the frame tubes with Lead.....!!!:laugh:

Bikes like this should not weigh anymore than a 600cc 4 cylinder bike. under 200kg's is an absolute must.

My GSXR1000L0 weighs 195kg kerb weight with a full tank of petrol (I got it weighed at my local MOT station out of curiosity as I have removed the Cat and gone for a Yoshimura single carbon can as opposed to the OE twin can set-up):sunglasses:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

wrong

its just wrong. Honda may well sell loads and then we can point and laugh. Power to weight.....wake up Honda.

Reply to this Topic
Rumple

Sep 09

Rumple says:

@mogulthrash

Why would you point and laugh?

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Rev limiter.

I wonder if the rev limiter is implemented to hold the power down to the new Euro limit for A2. I worry that with such an aggressive limiter the bike will be probably the first bike where the DCT option is the one to have... I agree with the concerns about wet weight - PARTICULARLY as that isn't petrol - the tank is tiny (another concern for me). 

I would be interested in a cheap, reliable winter bike  that has good protection from the cold and rain and huge service intervals (so I can have something mad for the summer)  but I'm not sure this will deliver for me. 

Reply to this Topic
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

Laugh?

Anyone talking about high end rush or power to weight etc is completely missing the point of the bike.

If power to weight was the be all and end all of fuel economy, then how can 1L super minis do (much) better mpg than many so called commuter bikes, with the same power, and 4x the weight?

It used to be that bikes laughed at cars for fuel economy, but whereas cars have marched onwards with more and more clever ideas, bikes have just got faster. I'm not complaining, I love going fast, but now we are seeing some genuine strides being made to make the bike a more economical alternative.

Look at it this way, if you are single, live in an urban area but you have family or friends/job a reasonable distance away, then something like this bike is absolutely perfect.

And as for the wet weight of 218Kg, that depends on where the weight is sitting, if they have kept it very low, you will barely notice it. Heavier bikes are more about technique than brute force, it's why my 8st 5ft 2 wife can put my CBR1100XX onto the centre stand.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

It looks like a CBF 125 - I thought they made the little bikes look like the big bikes, not the other way round!

And 78.8 mpg, for a fairly big size engine is alright, but could be better - My RS 125 did 70 mpg trying to ride fuel efficently, and that was a old 2 stroke racer.

Cars have a heck of a lot more development in fuel efficency - this is probably the first bike bigger than 250cc to have it as a major consideration. Which is still a lot better than a 1.0 hatchback, and would definately be more fun than said 1.0 hatchback.

With the same amount of effort applied to bikes to make them more fuel efficent, we could see litre superbikes doing anything up to 100 mpg.

Good luck getting that out of a supercar...

Reply to this Topic
charlesq_70

Aug 07

charlesq_70 says:

Read Kevin Ash's review of the NC700X. He thinks this is Honda's most important bike since the Fireblade, at least in terms of the engine. Most riders spend 95 percent of their time travelling at under 85 mph and their engines spend 80 percent of their time at 6000 rpm or lower. Right through that rev range -- the NC700X's redline is 6500 rpm -- the new bike makes significantly more power than a CBF600 and stomps all over it for torque. Some riders mightn't like treating it as if it were a car engine (half of one in fact, a Jazz motor), but for everyday riding I can't think of anything better. With the amount of torque available the weight is irrelevant, a similarly powered cruiser is much heavier and will beat almost anything away from the lights. And getting over 350 km out of a 14 litre tank is very attractive. I feel like hugging Honda for being the only company that still remembers that a bike is primarily an efficient, economical means of transport that just happens to be a lot of fun, and not a rich man's toy. And not just that -- cars have come on leaps and bounds in terms of fuel economy and Honda is the first manufacturer that is seriously attempting to give bikes back the advantage they had for so long. This is the kind of thinking that will save motorcycling.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

Have to agree that where the weight is on a bike is as important and how much it weighs. My Vstrom 650 is VERY top heavy, feels like a much heavier bike and is a pig to move around in the garage. Good bike allround but a heavy one.

I suspect that the new Honda will be a much better bike in that respect and it will do 70mpg+ in normal riding, around the same as a BMW 800. The thing is you'd have to do a LOT of miles to make the low fuel consumption pay. It might make a good secondhand bike in a few years, but I definately won't be trading in my Vstrom for one, it make no economic sense.

This bike is firmly targetted at long distance commuters, if you aren't one, then move along please...nothing to see here.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle