Skip to content

Discuss This Honda NC700X: A brave new world First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda NC700X: A brave new world

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda NC700X: A brave new world

The NC700X is the latest 'crossover' bike from the stable of Crossrunner and Crosstourer. But what sets the NC700X apart is a price of £5850 and a claimed 78.8mpg. The subdued exhaust note, flush-fitting panels and perfect peg-to-seat-to-handlebar riding position tells you this is a Honda. Honda makes a big deal about the NC's slim build and how it aids city riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 December 2011 17:01)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
sj_edinburgh

Apr 04

sj_edinburgh says:

Good points Charles, Agree with everything you say, it good to see at least one of the big japanese manufacturers taking this market seriously. Only thing I'd disagree with is that Honda aren't the first - BMW have been using car technology in bikes for a few years and the new Honda is no better than the F800 in that respect - be interesting to see which has better fuel consumption. Having said that I'd buy the Honda over a beemer anyday.

The good thing is that bikes like this one, might give some people the excuse they need to buy a bike over a car. Previously the only that you could genuinely buy a bike for economic reasons would be if you bought a 125/250. - your average 500/600/650 usually costs more to run than an old banger.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

be subjective guys

As road testers you lot often get accused of being spoiled and not living in the real world. Here is a mix of good and not so good reporting, although you did praise some or the good points of the designe you pointed out lack of horsepower as a failing where in fact it is a design criterion, dont kill this with negativity it deserves a chance. Don't underestimate your power to influence the public, by all means call a spade a shovel and be frank but consider the whole picture first.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Sj, yep I'll agree with you.

Old banger is anything above a tenner if your in the right place right time. by the time your 20 plus, insurance for said banger is up to 200 quid, and does anything from 20 to 40 mpg - certainly you can get those figures from 30 odd year old jags like my parents did.

125s start at 300 odd, less meaning RP RT, or crashed/broke, with another 1-200 quid for insurance, but 50 plus mpg even from the 2 strokes. My RS did 70 mpg regularly, but I tried to ride it fuel efficently all the time.

Which means that only higher mileages make sense, but then 125's don't cope well with speed, especially 4 strokes.

But with more effort put into making bikes fuel efficient will help.

200 mpg 125 by 2020 anyone?

Reply to this Topic
nordicbiker

Oct 09

nordicbiker says:

Wouldn't an engine like this fit perfectly in a dual-sports for light offroad/onroad use? Low rpms which give good torque in combination with great fuel economy and Honda's legendary reliability would make a great around-the world bike!

Just give it a stable frame, spoked wheels, enough ground clearance, long well balanced suspension but acceptable seat height, reach of >400km  and some good travel accessories and I might seriously consider selling my KTM Adventure.

Nobody needs >100 horsepower and >250kg for adventure touring!

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Easytargets makes a..

..good point. Perhaps a bike like this is best reviewed by the exact same type of rider it's aimed at? I think a lot of used to the sporty side of riding might find the lack of kick as the revs rise underwhelming the targeted rider might find it just fine?

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Sensible

At least some of the posters get it.  The bike should have been reviewed based on what the bike was created for.  If you look at it that way, it is likely a fine steed for it's intended purpose...commuting, grocery getting  (with the addition of some luggage) and even enjoying the scenery.  The world needs more bikes that are more about basic needs and sensibility that outright top end rush. If I required a bike to do a 40 mile trip to work each way, I would highy consider this.  Considering that motorcycles have at a minimum of double the drag coefficient of a sedan, 79 mpg is pretty darn good.  It also looks to have comfy ergos which also means it can be handled easily and do it well.  As for power, for it's purpose, it has enough.  I have yet to ride even a 250 that isn't able to out accelerate a typical car in highway traffic.  It is also likely to be durable because it isn't over stressed and overly complex mechanically, which makes this bike an economical value before and after the sale.  Which brings me to DTC...leave it off.  It just drives up the sale price and future maintenence costs or potential problems.  Can a DTC be bump started if the battery dies?.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Dull....and the white one still looks like a penguin. The price is good though but then, for the performance, I could buy something even cheaper and lighter.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Public Transport?

Is it a bus? I think my Guzzi 1200 weighs less than that and I would never describe that as light. If Honda a really worried about the MPG, perhaps they should ditch 40kgs of lard.

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

auto bikes? give it thirty years

It's a scooter for people who hate scooters. The engine has been designed with the DTC auto box in mind, hence all the journos banging into the rev limiter. This won't occur with the DTC version as it will change up when it reaches peak torque. We Brit bikers won't buy many as we hate this kind of thing seeing it as a threat. I have mates who question me for having ABS on my bike even after I show them an old motorcycle mechanics mag from May 77 with an article called the thinking brake. It generally takes us thirty or more years to accept useful new tech in the bike world. 

When bike manufactures in the 1920's first fitted automatic oil pumps to engines to replace the manual oil pump on the tank, which had to be pushed every few miles, they had to leave a sight glass where the old manual pump used to live. Why? because motorcyclists of the time wouldn't trust the new fangled technology to take on a job that only they could do properly! It's a wonder we're not still riding bikes with exposed chain drives like they had a hundred years ago, oh hang on a minute...

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
marval

Nov 03

marval says:

God Knows why!

Dont we all choose a bike to love? Dont 90% of us put it away in the winter? Perhaps we should all have one of these for boredom, safety and economy in the winter. On the other hand you could by say, a nearly new, Citroen C1 for instance at similar price, it will only cost you £20 pa to tax it probably be less to insure than a second bike, it will do about 65mpg and you will less chance of  being knocked off it commuting in the dark, Oh you wont need panniers for it either or even mess your nice gear up with crud. Well you wouldnt want to buy a bike with half a Honda Jazz engine for pleasure would you???    

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices