Skip to content

Discuss This Honda NC700X: A brave new world First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Honda NC700X: A brave new world

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Honda NC700X: A brave new world

The NC700X is the latest 'crossover' bike from the stable of Crossrunner and Crosstourer. But what sets the NC700X apart is a price of £5850 and a claimed 78.8mpg. The subdued exhaust note, flush-fitting panels and perfect peg-to-seat-to-handlebar riding position tells you this is a Honda. Honda makes a big deal about the NC's slim build and how it aids city riding...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (01 December 2011 17:01)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Honda Knows Why

@Marval

Honda are building the NC700X and it's two cousins for the European market where bikes are still used as transport particularly in Italy and Spain. They will sell shed loads, just like Yamaha sell shed loads of scooters. The US will also buy a profitably large number simply because it's a huge market. The UK market is small potatoes especially now we've fallen out of love with sports bikes. The more we use bikes as toys the more we will get what we are given because the larger more profitable markets will drive what gets built. 
By the way I commute by bike or scooter(depending on mood and weather) everyday, except for snow, because the alternative is sitting in jams grinding my teeth in frustration and anxiety at being late for work. Also it's great fun even on the old ebay special scooter! I recommend it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
briantheb

Dec 11

briantheb says:

What a blunder

Like I've said elsewhere and based purely on what I've read in MCN and the web, -  not the bike it could have/should have been.  No shaft, no prize.

Scooters have them, sensible tourers have them, and the target market (presumably commuters and casual leisure riders) don't want to be faffing about with chains.  Sports bikes may benefit from chains, this is no sports bike therefore, get rid of some unnecessary weight an give it a shaft ! A Deauville/Transalp cross should have been the starting point for this project and I just cannot understand why all the smart kids at Honda did not see this (nor those at MCN, but then they appear more interested in 'go faster stripes').  As for the acclaimed fuel economy, other similar bikes achieve this, even some diddy commuter boxes claim these sort of figures. "Must try harder".

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

lol Shaft drive? That will only put the price up and the weight even more. There's nothing wrong with chain and sprockets, just look after them and oil them. Better still fit a scottoiler. For those that say, they just splatter oil everywhere then you need to adjust the oil flow.

My Sprint St 955 was a great do anything bike. Probably couldn't match the mpg of this but it was comfortable, grunty and lasted well. It felt light too and at  207kg, lighter than the NC700X and you can pick up a decent one for less than £2500.

You don't need shaft drive.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

or?

Better still, get an SV1000 even lighter and great character. Possibly even cheaper than the equivalent Sprint ST955. Less tank range but still a great, versatile bike. Nope, it wont do 70mpg  but you'll appreciate the lack of bulk and that lovely V twin purring away. The SV650 is an alternative but it lacks a bit of go. That said, so does the NC700 according to the review. SV650's can be bought for peanuts. I don't know why as they are a great little bike. Just the suspension lets them down and for tall riders they can feel a bit cramped.

£5850 can seem cheap but for £2500, there's alot of options out there that will do the equivalent job.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
briantheb

Dec 11

briantheb says:

SV's R Good

Agree with what you say about the SV's but for all round use the DL's have them beaten (and many others) hands down.  As for the need for a shaft, I own and ride many different bikes, and have done so for a good number of years but the one with more than 90,000 miles on the clock is the Beemer with a shaft.  The convenience and ease of maintenance away from home makes it the bike of choice nearly every time even though I much prefer my V-strom as an all round bike.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

Hmm

How can you compare this Honda (a commuter bike) to an SV650 (a wannabe sports bike) they are totaly different bikes.The Honda is aimed at low cost biking 8000mile services 79mpg ideal for getting more people into to biking which can only be a good thing is it not?

Reply to this Topic
paddyd

Mar 10

paddyd says:

seat height

Another bike for tall people when are these bike manufacturers going to cater for us short arses. I am interested in bike but seat height has put me off. Another bike where I have to find a f----ing kerb to get off

Reply to this Topic
edgey999

Jun 06

edgey999 says:

NC700X

I have actually purchased an NC700XA so i thought i would chip in with my 10 pence worth.

I am an every day commute to work and use a bike all day for work guy. I get paid a pittance of a milegae allowance so costs are important. I have a car but parking and traffic make its use a nightmare and i love riding a bike.

Japanese build quality, 80mpg (real figure obtained by me), 8k mile service intervals, comfortable, quick (in real traffic conditions), smooth, easy to ride, decent suspension and handling, a brilliant gearbox (dont waste money on the DCT) and its a proper motorcycle. Why all the negative waves?

Fair play to you Honda on making a motorbike that can actually be used as a proper form of real world transport thats is as reliable and cheap to run as a car.

Sports bikes or commuters, we are all motorcyclists together so why condemn each others bike choice? The enemy is out there and they live in metal boxes with a wheel at each corner so lets show a little solidarity

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
arkwright55

Sep 11

arkwright55 says:

NC700X Horses for courses

We've all got reasons for buying the bikes we ride. Mine is, a bike for commuting to work, and days out. I found the NC700X ticked most of the boxes I needed.Ok, it's never going to do a track day, beat a Blade away from the lights, but it does all I want it to do well, at a very reasonable price, plus the dealer is going to fit a centre stand on it at no extra charge.With the low centre of gravity, its a doddle at low speed, and the high seat gives a good view around the rider. Only niggles are the luggage box is too small for my crash helmet, although my wifes/daughters one does fit in it, and I intend to fit a taller screen when its available to cut down on wind noise at higher speed. One day perhaps I'll be able to to have a fleet of bikes for all occasions, but until then....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices