Skip to content

Ask an Expert Nail in tyre - Repair/Replace? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Nail in tyre - Repair/Replace?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

chrisbf125

Sep 10

chrisbf125 says:

Nail in tyre - Repair/Replace?

Hi, 

I have a nail stuck firmly in my rear tyre. Should I get this repaired and how much should that cost? It doesn't seem to be doing any harm. I don't want to replace the tyre as it's almost new. 

Chris

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 December 2011 11:33)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Only

way to tell is to take it somewhere were they repair them. They'll only repair it if it's safe to do so as it could knacker the important stuff below the rubber.

Is it a tubed or tubeless? Tubed will be dirt cheap to repair as it's just a £15-20 tube plus labour.

If it's tubeless, you can repair it yourself with puncture safe but frankly I'd get it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing. What price your life?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Tyre repairs

Hi Chris

The tyre repair thing is a bit of a nightmare these days,some manufacturers say no repairs to there tubeless tyres and others only recommended up to two repairs.These repairs must be 30mm or more from the edge,as the repair could interfere with the bend in the top tread and side wall on the inside of the tyre or no more than 25% off the centre line none on the edge or in the side wall.Also the only repair recommended to be safe is with a mushroom type patch,no Z (W Y) rated tyres to be repaired in any circumstances.The hole in the tyre should not be bigger than 3mm.I strongly recommend that if you are not going to replace the tyre then have it repair by a motorcycle repair shop not a car repair shop or your good self.Good Luck

Item image

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

repaired

I had my rear tyre repaired with a mushroom plug and vulcanised as kcmc picture,it was a zr rated tyre which had a nail well in the treaded area with no problems.

£10 on a loose wheel.:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices