Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

radddogg

Dec 11

radddogg says:

Best 125cc Bike

Hi,

New to the forum so please be gentle :tongue:

I couldn't find anywhere better than this forum to post this question so here goes.

I was knocked off my YZF-R125 by a lady that pulled out on me without looking :upset: I've just found out its a total loss so I'm looking to replace it.

While I think its a great bike, I'm wondering whether there is anything better in the class worth considering? Please don't tell me to get a 'big bike' as I only commute a few miles across town with a maximum speed limit of 40mph. 

So I have seen the MCN top ten list and readers top ten list and it looks like I may already have one of the best 125cc bikes:biggrin: but I also like the look of the Derbi GPR-125, Cagiva Mito and the Honda Varadero.

I don't really want to lose any performance, want something under £3k and under 3k miles. Although, I may consider something cheaper/older if there is a good reason for it. I also want something with a bit of 'big bike' presence so I don't get idiots in cars trying to race me at traffic lights after I've filtered to the front.

So, in your opinions, what should I go for?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (04 December 2011 12:45)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Cracking little bike this!

Under £3 and brand new 0 miles. 

www.suzukivanvan.co.uk
:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

KTM

Im selling this if your interested? Looks like a big bike and its great for commuting! Will also do 78mph so performance is good for a 125!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/KTM/125-DUKE/2011/_/R-NXGN-7569920

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
ChallengeAccepted

Nov 11

Dude

The YZF-R125 is the coolest 125 I have ever seen! You should definitely stick with it if you loved your last one! (Sorry for your loss).

I personally have a Honda CBF125, which is great for commuting, first bike etc. But I do get a little jealous when I see a nice looking RS125, Mito or YZF around the college car parking... 

MCN did a good little video on this 

:smile

Reply to this Topic
radddogg

Dec 11

radddogg says:

Thanks for the replies.

Is there no quote function?

I like the idea of the vanvan but I need to see/ride one before I'm converted, so I'll see what my local  shop has in.

Love the KTM, the review is pretty impressive - top end of my budget though so will have to see how the finances work out. Where are you based Rob?

Yes the YZF is a tasty bit of kiot, if not a little overpriced. I may still get one, just keeping my options open as I rushed into buying mine after seeing it in the shop and falling in love.

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Welcome to the forums.

:lol::lol:

You have certainly had the best four stroke 125 - If you don't want the expense of a 2 stroke, buy another one, its only real competitor is the KTM as far as looks go and speed go.

The GPR 125 was born out of Derbi's 125GP efforts, so handles well, but the new ones are 4 stroke, and much slower - early bikes are 2 stroke.

The Mito 125 is one of the fastest 125's made - Think of it as a baby 916, is how most people describe them, and it deserves that reputation. They start at 1000 pounds plus, but that is my end of the market. The new one is called the SP525, and can easily be mistaken for a Ducati 998. (I've done it on numerous occasions.)

The Varadero is a big 125, and according to bike magazine, if it was 30 mph faster, it would be better than the 1000cc version. Doesn't look as nice, but thats my opinion.

Is the budget just for bike, or does it include replacement gear, insurance etc?

Way under your budget, but way over your mileage, I have a '53 RS 125 for sale. done 25000 miles, and the ad is on the buying and selling bikes section of the forum. For 800 quid going by what the bills should work out at - I may wind up needing more, and I would love the chance to buy it back, so you won't make a loss if you decide to move on.

I hate central heating...

You will quickly find that the quickest way to get a response is to post in General anyway.

Reply to this Topic
jimmywiz

Oct 11

jimmywiz says:

Sinnis Apache is where its at

Get a sinnis apache or a pulse adrenaline - SAME BIKE 

they are chines but really really nice - Im keeping mine two years then getting a 400cc or so 

Reply to this Topic
mk1rob

Aug 11

mk1rob says:

radddog

Im in Lincoln mate:smile

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

Ohh yeah...

The bike is in lincolnshire as well, south of Horncastle.

Reply to this Topic
bikergrrl

Nov 11

bikergrrl says:

personally

I love the RS125 (old style) I have two of them. But as anyone will tell you, they are both off the road in various states of repair:lol:

If you can deal with the expense and potential unreliability then I'd say they are worth it. Great to ride. Having said that if you like the YZF stick with it, they are far more reliable:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

I know you've said 125

but a CBR250 (current one not the psycho screamer) or GPX250 or Ninja 250 would probably be a better general bike for your commute; and would provide you with more presence and more acceleration to deal with traffic (even if you don't use the extra top-end speed).

Should be able to find a decent any of the above within budget.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle