Skip to content

Discuss This 2012 KTM Duke 690 world first test First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > 2012 KTM Duke 690 world first test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Michael Guy  says:

2012 KTM Duke 690 world first test

MCN’s Michael Guy is in Gran Canaria testing KTM’s all new 2012 KTM Duke 690. "First impressions of the bike is how different it looks to its predecessor. It’s still an aggressive looking bike with seriously sharp styling, but its no where near as radical as it was before – think cool looking naked bike rather than full on Supermoto." "The change...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 December 2011 10:29)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Shame

They've had to go for mass appeal. The motorcycle industry becomes further diluted into same old same old. Looks like a nice, sensible, well priced commuter bike. Is KTM trying to become Europe's Honda?

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Agreed

What have they done to it's looks??? Looks more like one of the cheap chinese bikes now.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Looks like the love child of Monster and an ER6-n

If it had been ridden into the Ugly Tree and then attacked by some toddlers with crayons.  Probably a hoot to ride, but I decree crotch rot on the committee that designed it.

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
Darren950

Aug 10

Darren950 says:

KTM 690

In the flesh this a funky mid size bike, that I think will appeal to a lot of younger riders. The colour scheme is really nice, with the orange frame to add a bit of bling, checkout the ktm facebook account. The 690 engine is really punchy with less vib and has now had its service intervals extended to every 6,000, which puts it slap in the BMW Boxer intervals, with its light weight and 70bhp it will kick arse in the twisty stuff where it counts. I am taking a 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R from London to Sydney with an Ozzy mate so I will give you some honest feed back next year. Safe riding, Darren

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Frills and thrills

If it goes anything like the previous duke, it'll be a riot. I do agree with the styling and think the older one had standout and a distinctive style to it. Maybe KTM are wanting to become seen as slightly more mainstream, and there's nothing wrong with that if selling lots of bikes is your remit, but I will miss the old duke. It was like an unpredictable uncle that visited unannounced and then proceeded to drink all the cooking sherry.

Reply to this Topic
Lord Larry

Jul 07

Lord Larry says:

Style of the Duke 690

My son recently purchased a recently manufactured low mileage Duke 690 with its superbly eyecatching and aggressive styling and as I will be in the market for a new bike early next year, I was interested in checking out the 2012 model. However, when I saw the pictures - UUuuuh! What have they done to it?

KTM have taken one of the coolest styled bikes in its class and made it look like the resurrection of something designed by a committee from behind the Iron Curtain during the 1960s - no actually its worse than that!

Sorry KTM, you've just lost any chance of a sale. Sack the new designer and bring back the old one, before its too late and somone calls in the style police.

[This Reply has been modified by the Moderator]

Reply to this Topic
davebuust

Dec 11

davebuust says:

What about...

the vibrations? This was the key issue with the previous generation Duke 690, with vibrations through the bars and pegs, combined with a ludicrously hard seat, making for a very uncomfortable ride. I take it, as there is no mention of this, that these issues still remain? And what about the poor build quality - does it still feel like it will crumble when it gets a sniff of a salted road? And are the adaptive maps accessible through the switchgear, or do you have to get to the ECU?

Reply to this Topic
dev_d7

Feb 08

dev_d7 says:

Previous Duke

I rode the previous version and REALLY CANNOT see the need for 3 riding maps - it only makes 70hp, and even for a beginner this is manageable. Vibrations on the old model made it far to irritating to live with too... not sure this will be different. The bigger version is much better.

Reply to this Topic
cdo1uk

Apr 04

cdo1uk says:

PUKE 690

i had a 2008 Duke 690, loved it, although a little unreliable.... the bike was stunning, i could sit and look at it for hours, which was good coz most of the time it didnt go. Anyway.... this new one has the styling of a commuter. if you look past the flashy orange frame and the WP bouncy bits its just a normal looking bike. the Duke was fine how it was, KTM have just lost the duke.

People keep on about the vibes, come on, its a single, its going to vibrate, get over it. i was thinking of getting a new duke but now i have seen the 2012, its a no from me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices