Skip to content

Ask an Expert Rain on the inside of the visor. Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Rain on the inside of the visor.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

venquessa

Dec 11

venquessa says:

Rain on the inside of the visor.

I had a problem with my previous helmet (HTC IS-16) where it would fog up, even with a Pinlock insert.  The biggest trouble was as soon as you opened the visor to clear the fog, rain ran down the INSIDE of the visor.

I 'upgraded' to an Arai Axcess in the summer and only recently (this mornnig) rode in the rain to discover exactly the same fault.

I say "fault", because in my opinion it makes the helmet unfit for purpose and dangerous.  Once water has run down the inside of the visor, not only is your vision seriously impaired, but any anti-fog coating including a PinLock is ruined until you can stop and dry/air it.

I can see from the design of both helmets why it happens.

1.) There is no gutter along the top of the visor seal.
2.) There is a gap above the visor seal between the visor and the helmet surface that creates a captive area where water will collect when the visor is shut.
3.) The instant the visor seal is broken, due to the above, water will cascade down the inside.  

It is very difficult to wipe the water away, there is no wind to blow it clear either.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to live with the helmet until I can either get my money back or otherwise get a better helmet!

Anyone?

Paul

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 December 2011 13:49)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Pinlock visors

Make sure it isn't fitted the wrong way around or upside-down - it's been known to happen.

When it's the wrong way around, the seal faces the wrong way too.  That defeats the entire object.

Reply to this Topic
6Billy9

Aug 02

6Billy9 says:

Don't open your visor!

The only advice I've got is if it's cold and raining and you have a demist system in place - never open your visor! That's what I do - only open it if absolutely necessary - if you do, you're knackered - water down the inside of the visor, mist, misery. Keep it shut is the only answer - if your demister is good enough - should keep it demisted while waiting for the average traffic lights. Obviously, that depends on your journey and the traffic conditions: if you live in London, ignore everything I've just said :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Once

I have dressed for wet riding I get a black refuse sack and trim a hole just smaller than the visor and get the missus to tape it into position.

To avoid getting the inside all steamed up I use a length of clear plastic hose to breathe through and use one of those nose clips I used to have in my synchronised swimming days. 

Reply to this Topic
taksi

Oct 11

taksi says:

misting.

I have a Shoei XR1000 with pinlock and have no probs whatsoever and I commute all year round. The XR1000 has a useful lever on the left of the lid which when pressed up locks the visor but when moved down lifts the bottom left corner of the visor to aid misting when stopped at lights etc. This still maintains the seal at the top of the lid so no water gets in. Brilliant.

Taksi

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices