Skip to content

Riding & events Riding in strong winds Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Riding in strong winds

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Riding in strong winds

The UK is likely to be hit with very strong winds over the next couple of days, with gusts of over 90mph expected in parts of Scotland and Northern England. Below are a couple of tips to help you ride in strong winds. Obviously, if the winds are too strong and you don't feel confident riding in such conditions, leave the bike...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (07 December 2011 17:38)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Another wind tip...

look way, way down the road, not at the sides to which you're being blown, and allow yourself to relax and let the bike correct itself. 

Reply to this Topic
theglovenor

Jul 10

theglovenor says:

Take the topbox off your Tenere.....

be even more wary of diesel on roundabouts etc as the wind can slide you sideways,espescially on trailie tyres in the wet....

Reply to this Topic
Mr. Luck

Jan 08

Mr. Luck says:

Photo..?

In the photo:

should we be holding our forks as well instead of the handle bars.....? this is a new concept to me...

Does it work...? PMSL

Reply to this Topic
DOCTIRED

Oct 06

DOCTIRED says:

fairings

If you have a choice, ride an unfaired bike, they are much less prone to sidewinds imho...........

Grabbing the fork leg to keep low is an old technique and effective if on a long straight run. In very cold conditions on motorways I used to bend down and grab my a10 exhausts occasionally in the 70s and it helped to keep my hands warm.......

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

There is always wind...

when you ride head down arse up

Reply to this Topic
Bonly1

Aug 02

Bonly1 says:

should we be holding our forks as well instead of the handle bars.....? this is a new concept to me...
Does it work...? PMSL

NO, IT DOESN'T WORK!

And I think MCN ought to change that pic if it's giving the wrong impression?

Holding the fork leg is fine for aerodynamics when racing, but absolutely no use when it's windy as now.  Keep hold of your bars as normal, gusts will always hit you by surprise, grip more firmly when it hits you and lean into a side gust with your body as you would when cornering (NO, not knee down!) 'cos it's just like someone/something trying to push you the other way innit?  Anticipation / forward observation is everything at all times, espesially now - consider open spaces past buildings, mouths of junctions between buildings, approaches to bridges that you'll pass under besides those you'll be riding over, 'cos they'll all be more prone to gusts in those locations.  Wide open spaces don't give you the opportunity to anticipate, but if it's windy as now, you should be expecting the odd push shouldn't you?  Think about the last juggernaut that was coming the other way toward you at 60mph.... big blast of wind?  You dealt with it 'cos you anticipated.  What did you do?  Ducked a little?  Leaned a little?  Instinctively? Yeah, but it's just a little (lot) more exagerated in windy conditions.
If Old Bill were to clock you riding as 'DOCTIRED' appeared advocate, you'd be looking at a prosection for 'Not being in a position to have proper control'.  But I don't believe he meant it was ideal for windy conditions, just maybe for getting outta the cold and for warming hands.
MCN's photo is misleading - not the first or last time either :)

Ride safe - but if the conditions are dangerous like now - if you don't have to, then don't ride at all. Stay safe mate.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Bonly1

Wow dude, that was epic.

Reply to this Topic
Bonly1

Aug 02

Bonly1 says:

'Wow dude, that was epic.'

I'd like to elaborate, but I'm still PMSL

Reply to this Topic
Twentytoo

Jul 09

Twentytoo says:

It scares me

The only time I was ever scared in the wind was on the road from Malaga to Gibraltar where, in 2007 on a GS1200, not all the 'passes' had wind protection. Not been since so may still be the same but maintaining a lane was difficult...There are 4 bullet points here...Not challenging them but survival instinct taught them on the first pass...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What about HGVs?

Surprised there is no mention of the effect of passing by a bus or HGV that is upwind; not to mention the buffeting from the turbulence when one is within a couple of vehicle lenghts behind such a vehicle in an adjacent lane.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices