Skip to content

Discuss This Kawasaki Versys 1000 delivers more for your money First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Kawasaki Versys 1000 delivers more for your money

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Adam Child  says:

Kawasaki Versys 1000 delivers more for your money

So does a four-cylinder adventure bike make any sense? On the strength of our world first ride of Kawasaki’s pioneering, Z1000-based Versys 1000, the answer is ‘Yes’… and ‘No’… The Versys 1000 has a superbly smooth and tractable engine, class-leading traction control, all-day comfort, and is the cheapest bike in its class. But its looks are controversial and I was never...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 December 2011 10:51)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Q for Adam Child

Adam, i was seriously thinking of a versys 100 next year. BUT, you are not the only one to point of the front end is a little vague when "pushing on".

Can you ellaborate?

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I'm not sure

that a vague front end when pushing on is something that matters to a typical tourer. I know that it's Adam's job to push the bike to its limits, but consider the typical buyer. If you want that type of bike, and one that can be pushed, then the only contender really is the Ducati Multistrada.

It will be interesting to see how the Tiger 1200 Explorer handles, and if it can be pushed more that the Versys.

So far, the only one missing from the party is Suzuki. Where's the new big V-Strom? Are they hiding a B King engined adventure bike for release soon? Perhaps a Hyabusa Explorer? Or have they realised that the market is full, or they're simply too late.

Reply to this Topic
kremnin

Sep 09

kremnin says:

I JUST DON'T LIKE IT.

Whats to say, I just don't like the look of the bike. Bikes like cars and aircraft must look pretty. This is why we call them 'she' or give them girls names (I'm talking for most men). This bike is ugly. Its like being stuck with the ugly bird at a party. If you buy this bike, you will always be looking at what your mates got and wishing you had that instead. All i can finish on is; Kawasaki Versys 1000 is a fail!

Reply to this Topic
SensibleSteve

Feb 10

A bike's looks

When I buy a bike, I buy it based on spec - performance, weight, comfort etc. Maybe the lowest priority is 'looks'. If I was in a market for a bike like this the looks are largely irrelevant - unless there is a very similar bike in spec, that looks significantly better. Only would I consider the better looking bike if the spec was otherwise identical.

I should know, I bought one of the first Hayabusas in 1999. At the time (and still, though I've moved on) a fantastic bike to ride, but ugly as sin. Still stands out as probably my favourite all-time bike.

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

@ Sensiblesteve

You're right, i base on "spec - performance, weight, comfort etc " also. Looks come into it but not an overiding factor for me.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I think sometimes function affects design and thats ok. But in this case there's really no reason for it to be that ugly. Tiger 800XC, Tiger1050, Tiger 1200, GS, Tenere, even Vstrom...all of those bikes are practical comfortable. None of them are near as ugly as the Versys 1000.

So sure looks isn't everything, but you can make the perfect bike,if it's ugly I simply won't buy it (unless I have 10 bikes and it's just one among them). There's plenty of good bikes that look good to have to buy an ugly bike that does the job. Just a bit surprised coming from Kawa, they usually have nicely priced, nicely designed, comfortable and practical bikes.

Reply to this Topic
marval

Nov 03

marval says:

kawasaki mishmash

What a bloody ugly thing! There must be a mid term facelift or realisticly  a face transplant. If you are in the market for this type of bike, surely you  have got to like the look of your potential purpose a little bit ????

The road testers general concensus is that it is good value though at £9495. I bet they wont using their money to buy one. It might feel slightly more acceptable though when dealers are awash with unsold demo bikes and forced pre registered saving  £££s. Mark my words!!!

If I was in the market I think  I might revisit the Yam TDM 900 at the realigned price of £6995.  After all these years, was it 10 years to early???

Reply to this Topic
Kingsil

Mar 09

Kingsil says:

Plug Ugly

Being as kind as I can I would say it shares it's industrial looks with Kawasaki's own Z1300 six from the late seventies, mind you they didn't sell many of them either.

Reply to this Topic
InTheRealWorld

Oct 11

Ugly?

I like the idea of this bike. All reviews I have seen say the same thing. Quick, comfortable practical handles well. (Although a couple have mentioned this vague front end business). And the looks don't bother me. At least it has presence! And for the record I don't and have never known anyone to call a bike a girls name.

Reply to this Topic
grapple

Dec 08

grapple says:

Versys 1000

Has any normal biker  had a test ride on this bike yet if so id be interested in your feedback as i have a test ride today at 11.00am.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle