You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > :( advice

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

letmelive

Oct 11

letmelive says:

:( advice

Hi, past my test 2 months ago, got an sv650s on it's way with scorpion slip on and lower fairings (apparently they were not originally with the bike but are Suzuki.

The quotes i am getting are pretty high with the mods confirmed, £750. I'm 26, ridden 125's before and have no ncb. Is it best to insure without declaring at first then ringing couple with later to confirm the add ons, i just don't know :(.  Any body have any advice or experience they can offer me please.

Many thanks

Amy

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 December 2011 13:37)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

ins

The first thing an ins com does when a claim comes in is how can we get out of not paying,modifications is one of many excuses for doing so.I have a skorpion end can on and declared it does not increase performance which it doesn`t,your lower fairing i know nothing about it and if it makes the bike go faster.

I would declare any mods at first instance because if you declare later your breaking the policy agreement and they will charge you extra for that as well. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Your insurance

need to know about mods - as Jaffa states, it's a favourite method of avoiding payouts in a claim.

Your insurers will probably void your policy if you fail to declare mods - if you get pulled, you might find yourself on a driving without insurance charge (minimum of 6 points).

Either that, or keep it standard for 12month or so - see how much difference it makes to the price.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Give 'em a call and ask.

When you're getting quotes over the phone it's always worth asking, "What if...?" For example, "What if I put a standard end can back on? How will that affect the quote?" It's possible that it will hardly affect your premium so you needn't bother.

They want to know about "performance upgrades" but an end can won't make a significant difference performance-wise. They won't pay out for your fancy, expensive add-ons if you break the bike; thats more the point.

Similarly I found that the pillion or no pillion question didn't affect the premium but you won't know unless you ask what's the difference. Sometimes Fully Comp isn't much different to TPFT.

Some of the questions are just market research. They'll sell your info to other companies. "You have stickers on your bike? Well hello! We sell stickers!"

Quiz 'em!

Reply to this Topic
letmelive

Oct 11

letmelive says:

insurnace

Hi thank you for getting back to me, I spoke to one of the companies today they said adding an end can wont change the policy. And forgot to ask about the fairing. I will let you know what happens when i come to insure. Yes i wouldn't insure and ride the bike without declaring mods, i don't like to give people anything they can use against me. The one thing that was bugging me was insurance would charge through roof online if i clicked "is it modified' so i guess ringing up would be the only option for lower insurance.

Another thing is i have found out i have the Datatool Alarm system 3, but i have no documentation for this. Without documentation will it still bring insurance down?

Many thanks :)

Amyx

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

alarm

Had them all and a pain in the neck,ins com`s don`t bother too much now.

Luckly i`m alarm free. 

Reply to this Topic
letmelive

Oct 11

letmelive says:

kite marked fairin O_o

The one thing the insruance are asking for is that the lower fairing is Britsh Kite marked...I've never even heard of that. The lower fairing is off a 2009 model when they made the lower fairing for the bikes, so it's standard for that year of bike.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Datatool, etc.

If you didn't get all the Datatool documents including the transfer of ownership form, and the insurer asks for proof of alarm, it would be worth contacting Datatool to sort that out. I found them very helpful.

A British Kite Mark is a quality standard although these days you'd be more likely to see the European version, the CE mark. It seems strange that they'd ask about that for a fairing lower. If it's a Suzuki-made part tell them so.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

check your

chassis number with Suzuki. They often offered the SV with the lowers on as standard on 'limited edition' machines. I bought a 2003 650S for commuting on new and it was supplied by Crescent with lowers and an Ermax undertray, so they were treated as standard parts by my insurers.

Worth a check as it will save dosh.

Tom

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices