Skip to content

General NW Police Camera Vans used at Night. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > NW Police Camera Vans used at Night.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

BigBriWil

Mar 09

BigBriWil says:

NW Police Camera Vans used at Night.

Camera vans are out in North Wales after dark!

Have they new technology? Or is it just a scam to scare Christmas motorists? I can't see (no pun here!!) how their cameras can see through the glare of two headlights, our registration plates are visable by reflected light so if no car is coming in the other direction would it show through the headlights, I don't think so.

Anyone else seen plod in other parts of the country racking up extra overtime?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (08 December 2011 18:11)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Not sure

but the first thing that springs to mind is the usual drink-drive crackdown - at least, thats what they're doing in N. Yorks.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

camera

Never heard of a mobile speed camera working in the dark.As AdieR says,it`s probably d/d.  

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

night time cameras

many years ago when I was fitting CCTV cameras, one bit of kit we used would invert the highlights (can't remember what it was called) & the threshold could be adjusted so car headlights, street lights etc. were greyed out thereby allowing the operator to see (and even read) reg. plates.

That was 20+ years ago in the early days of CCD cameras & technology has moved on a lot from then.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

night time cameras

many years ago when I was fitting CCTV cameras, one bit of kit we used would invert the highlights (can't remember what it was called) & the threshold could be adjusted so car headlights, street lights etc. were greyed out thereby allowing the operator to see (and even read) reg. plates.

That was 20+ years ago in the early days of CCD cameras & technology has moved on a lot from then.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

night time cameras

Modern CCTV cameras can run with infa red illumination so can work equally well at night. Chances are its part of the D/D campaign or possibly also ANPR checks (road tax etc)

Reply to this Topic
BigBriWil

Mar 09

BigBriWil says:

They are 'Go Safe' Vans.

Go Safe, previously Arrive Alive, not the licence recognition vehicles just single camera-speeding ticket in the post. No parrol cars with them, they are gits aren't they??

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

send them down south

please send them down here then they can catch all the taxi drivers who drive around at night they drive like bloody loonies

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

CCTV

Often the use of IR made things worse as the IR would reflect back off the numberplate causing it to 'whiteout' making it unreadable. Switching off the IR and letting them work in the available light meant the plates could be read.

Problem wasn't the low light level, it was the brightness of the headlights towards the camera closing down the iris and everything bar the lights went black.

The use of a 'peak white inverter' (remembered the name tonight) turned the lights from white to a shade of grey and the iris to stay open as the scene was 'averaged out'.

As I say, there have been great improvements over the years so whether peak white inverters are still used I don't know but if it could be done then, it can be done better now.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices