Skip to content

Discuss This Burgess: Valentino Rossi still fast enough to win in MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Burgess: Valentino Rossi still fast enough to win in MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Burgess: Valentino Rossi still fast enough to win in MotoGP

Valentino Rossi has not lost his winning touch and with a competitive bike could still be challenging Casey Stoner and Jorge Lorenzo at the front in MotoGP. That’s the view of the 32-year-old's legendary crew chief Jerry Burgess, who says he’s in no doubt that the Italian still has the skills and the speed to win MotoGP races. Some people have started...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 December 2011 10:45)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

My money's on Vale

The facts are that this time last year Rossi and Burgess didn't have a clue what they had let themselves in for. And Rossi was injured. Now they no exactly what the problems, if not the solutions, are, and it will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Ratchet

You need a reality check with some of those opinions.

Pick of the bunch is that on Rossi - a season of abject failure merits him ascending in the list of all time greats. Priceless.

Reply to this Topic
moany100

Apr 11

moany100 says:

whoever you like or dislike in this series lets face it when rossi goes something will be lost can the same be said when stoner goes ,it's not just the racing that rossi brings to the sport but it's the show as well lets not forget rgardless of how great stoner is he will never be the star like rossi

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

The facts are that this time last year Rossi and Burgess didn't have a clue what they had let themselves in for. And Rossi was injured. Now they no exactly what the problems, if not the solutions, are, and it will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

Beg to differ - with Stoner and Hayden's latter season results, they thought they had the basis of a championship winning bike (as said by JB himself) They just hadn't banked on how much of the bike's performance had been due to it's rider. Once it was clear that Rossi couldn't achieve the same level, they had no idea what the solutions were to his inability to come to terms with the bike, as proven by the lack of results all year and both Rossi and Burgess recently saying they haven't a clue what the cause of the front end issues is.

They have no answers, so Ducati have three choices. Persist with the CF bike with two riders who can't ride it to the top of the results or help sort the issues, hire someone who can (who?) or build a completely new bike.

Which is why the 2012 bike is completely different from 2011 CF variants and may have a rumoured narrow angle engine to go with it. There will have been no solutions to the current bike, just the building of a clone of every other Jap bike on the grid.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

JB

But Burgess told MCN: “I don’t think a rider like Valentino has done anything other than gain more strings to his bow dealing with a difficult situation and clearly this is going to make him a lot stronger.

I doubt the farce at Ducati this season will be repeated next, so i'm hoping for a better showing from Rossi. I'm still not convinced though, with all riders finishing, he'll be quick enough to take the top step. We'll have to wait and see i guess.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

whoever you like or dislike in this series lets face it when rossi goes something will be lost can the same be said when stoner goes ,it's not just the racing that rossi brings to the sport but it's the show as well lets not forget rgardless of how great stoner is he will never be the star like rossi

Are we missing something~? What 'show' has he brought to the grid this year?

As has been said many times before, there was racing before Rossi and there will be racing after he's gone. Racing doesn't need him or any other one rider, whether individuals will miss him when he retires is another matter, but no one rider is bigger than the sport.

Why do you assume Stoner or any other riders want the 'star status' Rossi has anyway.

Reply to this Topic
davevr46

Feb 11

davevr46 says:

No one could ride the GP11 at a competeitve level, Hayden and rossi started going backwards towards the end of the season no matter how hard they tried.

The GP11 was a turd, preziosi was tying to polish it and make do for the rest of the season....

Rossi world champion. x 9

Hayden world champion. x 1

say what ever you want, but if two former world champions look like rookies on  your bike, then something has got to be wrong with it?maybe ducati have only just realised this.

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

where you all been.

i know tis the off season but geeesss.nice to see a bit of banter back on the forum.

crt's will be the future of moto gp?? rossi and stoner on screamers again?be fun to watch.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

What?

Just the usual crap about probably one of the most talented riders ever to ride a motorcycle and do more for the sport than most others put together!

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Come on Buel - you don't honestly say that what Ratchet said in that post had any semblance of credibility do you...??

Stoner got lambasted by some on here for 'taking the Ducati in the wrong direction', 'being incapable of developing it', 'repeatedly crashing it' etc etc. No-one gave him any credit for his effort and the way he continually tried his damndest to get it to the top of the results, which he did on a good few occasions.

When Rossi got on pretty much the same bike at the start of the season he was nowhere and neither his or Burgess' input made a scrap of difference to the bike for the whole season. He's had a far worse season than Stoner ever did, never got to grips with it, yet Ratchet applauds his 100% commitment for sticking with it and not retiriing. Imagine the field day some of you Rossi fans would have had if Stoner had a season like that.

My response was not about Rossi, it was about Ratchet's comments

Someone else then posts that Rossi and Burgess now know what the problem with the bike is, which is complete twaddle otherwise why have Ducati built a new bike and someone else posts that Stoner will never be the 'star' that Rossi is or 'bring as much to the show' which is totally irrelevant to his ability to race a motorcycle. And as I said in my response, where has the 'show' been this year? It's why people can be forgiven for thinking it is just posturing after he has won.

I have no doubt that if Ducatis new bike is a competitive one we will see him back around the front of races and I wouldn't be surprised to see a win. But, it all depends on how good the bike is and for that, we will have to wait and see

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices