You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > XJ900 tyres

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

spikidave

Jun 05

spikidave says:

XJ900 tyres

I've recently purchased an XJ900 solely for commuting. Following an extensive article about tyres in MCN I chose to replace the rear tyre which was squared with an Avon Roadrider as it was deemed to be a good tyre for older commuting bikes. It's ok, but not the same as Bringestone BT 20/23's which I've used in the past on a Blackbirds and Bandit.. On the front there is currently a Conti Avenue which has plenty of tread left but feels very unsave, catching every lorry groove etc.... it can and offbalancing the bike and scary ion the wet.

I'm wondering whether to replace the front tyre before it wears out as it just doesn't feel safe and not sure what with, should I:

1) Stick with the Avon Roadriders and replace the front now.

2) Replace the front when worn out even though it doesn't feel safe

3) Replace the front now with a BT 20/23 and then the rear when it runs out.

I'm really not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreicated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 December 2011 15:16)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

I thought the conti-avenue was a sports tyre?

It may not be the tyre,it could be the pressure or the suspension not working correctly,have you had it checked.

Reply to this Topic
spikidave

Jun 05

spikidave says:

XJ900 tyres

The conti-avenue was on (and still is) when I purchased the bike. Suspension is fine, it's set just how I like it. MOT'd a couple of weeks ago nothing mentioned and thorough going over given and remarks of suprise from the mechanic on what great condition the bike is in. Tyre pressures are set exactly as per Yamaha's recommendation 32F 36R. Perhaps it's a bad thing to have a sports tyre at the front and commuting tyre at the rear. Doesn't sound like a good match. So if that's the case, what to do, stick with Roadriders or move over to Bt20/23's?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tyres

Fair enough,get rid of it and try the roadrider at the front,after these are both shot try a pair 023s.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Products/productsresults/Tyres/2011/January/jan1111-reviewavon-roadrider-tyres/

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices