Skip to content

Discuss This Bikers charged hundreds of pounds a year extra for life insurance General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikers charged hundreds of pounds a year extra for life insurance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikers charged hundreds of pounds a year extra for life insurance

A major life insurer has started charging customers hundreds of pounds a year extra for riding a motorcycle. Ageas Insurance asks policy applicants whether they have ridden a motorcycle during the last 12 months and if so what capacity it was. Anyone aged 50 or under who says they have ridden a bike over 499cc is charged extra, typically around £18...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 December 2011 17:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mickra

May 08

mickra says:

Insurance companies

and any other businesses need customers. Please, please use the power which we ALL have. If you don't like the deal offered, DON'T buy or subscribe to it. I think it really is that simple.

Reply to this Topic
2112overture

Sep 08

2112overture says:

Not all Insurance Companies are the same

I work if insurance and ride a 850cc motorbike (work and social, domestic, pleasure).

The company I work for have insurance companies that represent the 'whole of the market' and this is the only one I am aware of that charges extra for motorcyclists (bit cheeky considering Ageas also underwrite motorcycle insurance policies, as do Aviva, but Aviva don't charge extra for their life insurance).

Therefore if we need to insure a motorcyclist for life insurance we simply use a different insurance company that neither asks or charges etc

My conclusion is it's wrong, it assumes and it discriminates!!

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

Take a hike!

Its just another way of squeezing money out of us. So will just go elsewhere, they have to remember its a big market and they can end up small fish if they dont look to giving value.

As a motorcyclist with full licence for 35 years - and no claims except having my bike nicked 4 years ago I dont consider myself more of a risk - my bike is still my main transport - in my 50's and dont own a car.

So will vote with my feet - and maybe 2 fingers!

Reply to this Topic
Ralinoco

Nov 08

Ralinoco says:

who's at fault?

Bearing in mind that DfT statistics state that 67% of motorcycle accidents are caused by another type of vehicle turning across it's path or pulling out in front from a side road, and that the Dft have finally acknowledged this year that motorcyclists make better and more aware car-drivers, isn't it high time that insurers recognised this and lowered motorcyclists' life insurance but made the drivers who don't ride a motorcycle pay extra on their premiums?

It always seems to be that the victim gets penalised for the perpetrators wrong-doing.

The same applies to the E.U.s proposal for motorcyclists to compulsorily  wear hi-vis vests; it's the same old mind-set from the law-makers.It has to stop, doesn't it? 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle