You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Chain Maintenance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Chain Maintenance

What should I oil my chain with which isn't to pricey, I have a load of WD40 if that would be okay?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 December 2011 21:42)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil

Thick engine/gear oil brushed on thinly with a stiff brush or 1/2" brush with half the bristles chopped of.

Or have a pillion with a can of wd40 permantly spraying the chain.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Hmmm

Just put a layer of WD40 on, will they replace it when it goes in for its service? (1000KM)

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

1000KM

Are you talking a new bike?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

What bike?what chain?

Hi Guy

If its a none O-ring chain the WD40s OK not great,if its a O-ring chain then WD40 is not recommended as it can cause the rubber seals to expand and split causing grit and debris to be trapped by the remaining seal accelerating wear and damage.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

chains

If non O-Ring, I use a chain lube and spray it on sparingly AFTER I've been out for a ride. This lets it all dry off to help avoid "fling".

If it's an O-Ring chain, I use engine oil dispensed from a fairy liquid bottle.

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

NO!!!!

WD40 is a penetrant, not a lubricant!
All it will do is wash the oil off your chain and then evaporate.
If you're looking for the cheapest option use Wilkinsons 20W50 motor oil, dispense it onto your chain whilst spinning the back wheel round by hand

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

just sod the expense and buy a can of castrol chain wax.. its only a tenner!! come on chains are 100 quid!!

Reply to this Topic
entus

Sep 11

entus says:

I've

always found that egg white mixed with mashed banana and chip fat is ok or alternatively, CHAIN LUBE!!!

Reply to this Topic
Lil125Guy

Oct 11

Lil125Guy says:

Frosty Response :/

I have subsequently bought some AutoCare Chain oil, so all is well I hope.

Forgive me for being a newbie, don't know anyone who owns a bike and only had it for about 2 months so thank you for the responses, mostly :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

WD40

The manufacturer only recommends WD40 for chain cleaning, not lubrication. As above, it'll remove the grease and then disappear.

Chain lube can be had dirt cheap in a spray can and is the way to go. The best thing you can do is to use small amounts regularly. If you don't have a centre stand like me, get a £25 little stand which props the back wheel up (not a big paddock one) so you can spin, spray, spin, repeat. Getgeared sell these. As for lubes, don't bother with "racing" shite or any of that crap. Just get the £5 a tin stuff, make sure your chain is clean so you don't get all the grinding crap through winter and spray it on thinly. Do that every week - it'll take you 10 mins tops, your chain will last longer and when you get to that service, they'll hopefully not have to replace the chain as it has been well cared for. Also, use the time to check the play and adjust the chain if required as per the manual - another important bit of maintenance for the following reasons:
1) making sure it stays on the sprockets (i've seen them come off whilst people were riding - scary)
2) ensuring rear suspension travel isn't limited
3) ensuring proper gear changes
4) making the chain last.

A craply maintained chain can last only 3000 miles, especially in winter. A properly maintained one will last years.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices