Skip to content

Ask an Expert Born again biker (mid life crisis) ? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Born again biker (mid life crisis) ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

RickPat

Dec 11

RickPat says:

Born again biker (mid life crisis) ?

I am thinking of buying a bike after twenty years out of the saddle. My last bike was a Yamaha RD 400.

I have a full licence but think it would be adviseable to take some further training but I do not know what is available out there.

I would be using the bike for a forty mile daily commute and weekend fun. 

Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 December 2011 18:51)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

mid life

Welcome Rick,Use your car it`s cheaper and warmer,20mile one way this weather:shock: you need to see a phycho,buy one for the warmer weather. 

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Welcome back...

I would phone up a number of your local training establishments and ask them what they would do for a refresher course. Its likely that you will do a couple of 2 hour sessions on 500/600cc bikes (e.g. Er5, Bandits etc). When I did mine my trainer got me to start off in a car park and we didn't leave until he was sure that my emergency braking and basic steering was good enough (it was 20++ years too). I then went back two years later and did some more as I hadn't bought a bike in the mean time...
As to what bike is suitable for you to buy its difficult to say. What sort of budget do you have in mind and what sort of bikes do you like most? Also how tall are you and which dealers are close to you?
For commuting in all weathers you would probably be better off with a slightly more upright bike with a fairing since the fairings keep the rain and wind chill off whilst the upright position is more comfortable at slower speeds and gives a better view. Something like a Bandit S, GSX650, Diversion F, ER6F, F800ST, FZ6 Fazer, CBF1000F, CBF600SA. The sportier options would be an SV650S, CBR600F, F800S - these can be more uncomfortable when travelling slowly and the fairings are less good.If you are tall the likes of BMW GS, VerSys, Varadero, V Stroms could be quite attractive - remembering that if you are not and it is really windy its nice to be able to put both feet down sometimes!
If you have a load of money the nicest commuter bikes are R1200RT, FJR1300 etc watch the insurance and servicing costs before you buy... If you are prepared to leave the bike at home sometimes you might get away with a naked such as a Hornet, Moto Guzzi breva, R1200R etc...
BTW You should look at the price of nice RDs... You will wish you had kept yours :smile

Reply to this Topic
RickPat

Dec 11

RickPat says:

psycho

Hi Jaffa

I could not afford their fees.

RickPat :blink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

IMHO

upright bikes are "sensible" - better for visibility and learning or refreshing skills on, but they're also drafty and cold, even faired adventure style ones.  A sportier position and a decent fairing makes for a cosier ride in the bleak midwinter (so long as you use your thighs and core so you don't suffer in the wrist and back department).  A faired SV650S or CBR600F could be a good compromise and a decent way back in?

Reply to this Topic
rattypete

Jan 12

rattypete says:

Can I jump in here, just joined. I guess I'm suffering from a late life crisis (I'm 62), just considering getting a bike later this year. Got to be real real cheap though. Probably be a 125/250. Last proper bike I had was a Bonneville in late 60's.

Anyway I've a question, will my licence still be valid, I have had a company car for last 15years. I will see about taking a refresher course though.

Pete

(manchester)

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Valid Licence

rattypete

Assuming you passed your motorcycle test in the 60's and you have not lost your licence at any time during the years since then your licence will still be valid, good idea I think to take refresher after so much time off though, welcome back, I am sure you will love it again, enjoy and ride safe 

:biggrin:  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

valid

rattypete,have you got catergory A on your licence/greenpaper?

OH and welcome.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i would say a 400 or 500 road bike would be good. and if you get a bike you will see it being load cheap to run than a car

Reply to this Topic
dgee7

Jan 12

dgee7 says:

I'd go for a 400 stand up, much more comfortable.

Reply to this Topic
Jason2072

Dec 11

Jason2072 says:

Can't choose

Ive not ridden for about 12 years, looking at getting something just for pleasure, in the good weather. But Im torn between a GSXr 750 or Z750. Never had a sports model allways had the sit up & beg style. But is the gixxer best left for the track

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices