Skip to content

Discuss This What’s your best winter survival tip? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > What’s your best winter survival tip?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

What’s your best winter survival tip?

If you were to share with everyone else your best winter bike preparation tip that keeps your bike working smoothly and looking great despite the colder months which would it be? Perhaps it would be a cheat that saves cash on your kit? Or maybe a riding tip that helps keep you safe and comes from years of experience. Despite the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 December 2011 14:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Winter gear

I find the Alpinestars balaclava to be excellent with its breath hole and double flap neck piece.  Expensive as all get out, but worth it on long, cold rides.

Will likely be buying a Pinlock to deal with the fogging, although Cat Crap (yes, that is the brand name) anti-fog works pretty well.

I will have to check out the hand muffs for my scooter (Honda NHX110 Elite aka Lead), since fitting heated grips would be challenging.  A HID bulb upgrade would be nice too, since the OEM headlight is merely adequate.  Thankfully, I have a hose that will not freeze up in my garage.

Too bad there are not older fuel-injected dual-sport bikes around.  I am so spoiled by the cold-weather starting and fueling provided by PGM-FI, but hate to trash a nice scooter in the salt slush.

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

Keep Buff

I've got some good warm gear and a NorthFace Windstopper but recently I've bought a MotoGP logo'd winter Buff. It's got wind stopper tech around the neck and is bigger than most buffs to cover the rest of your face - this has kept my neck and face lovely and warm this winter and is my top tip on top of all the other suggestions.

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

take the car

given up riding in the winter,it`s crap,and the bike will suffer to much if you don`t keep up on the cleaning...what`s the point.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

winter riding

I got a few ideas on winter riding for what its worth. I ride my trusty steed all year round doing about 22,000 miles per year these are the tips that definitely work for me which I do on a budget.
Head: Obviously a good crash helmet Shoei seems to fit my nut well, along with an oxford full face balaclava and a snood to keep wind off me neck.
Top half: T.shirt,Oxford windproof long sleeve top, Thin cafe racer leather jacket, then an armoured textile jacket in my case a cheap targa one , Its not as restrictive as you think, light waterproof top packed away in tank bag.
Bottom half: Armoured textile trousers and a weiss light weight waterproof over trousers Ride magazine best buy at £16.99. They really are good and much cheaper than expensive gortex.
Feet: Any waterproof boot some cheap deals about if you shop around, plus a pair of goretex socks £16.00 on ebay, good for our boys and girls in Afghanistan. They are brilliant.
Bike: As my CBR 600 F 2011 does not have much in the way of a big screen, I have found putting a 3in 1 cargo tank bag on the bike works wonders for keeping the worst of the weather at bay going cheap at the moment from George White.
Heated grips are a must in my opinion every bike should come with them already fitted.
As for the bike, I let the bike cool down after a ride , spray muck off on then hose down with cold water. Thats it on a daily basis if you want to go a bit further give it a bit elbow grease.
Clean if you want with an sdoc product, let dry, spray some WD40 or SP60, once in a while spray with ACF50 by far and away the best anti corrosion product on the market but £13.99 a can. I sometimes finish with Mr sheen good enough for the hells angels (apparently)!

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

forgot hands

Heine Gericke pathan evo gloves brilliant gloves, warm and waterproof I have the claw two fingered version.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Keep an eye on your weather.. Keep your bike in good nick..

Use weather apps and/or websites to see whats going to happen on an hourly or 3 hourly basis on the next morening on key places in your trip and look at the ground temperature and humidity. If the humidity is close to 100% and the ground temperature is below zero use the car. You will have widespread black ice... Also if they predict rain and the temperature is below zero (happened last year at this time when we had snow)...

Make sure your tyres are pretty new - the extra tread will be useful in slush or heavy rain. Simmarly your suspension wants to be perfect - if you pgo around a corner you stress the tyres too much.

Reply to this Topic
rollingpeace

May 09

rollingpeace says:

ACF50, wax and a decent high vis

I hear people agree with the first two points, really high quality polish and then wax anything painted to protect from all that 'orrible winter weather, apply copious amounts of acf50 to anything alloy and finally (and this is reserved for evening riding etc.)

Good Clean high vis jacket so that should you fall, the person behind busy having a chat on their phone and totting up their xmas bill will have a slightly better chance of seeing you and not run you over.

I don't have a car so there is no other option for me.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

"apply copious amounts of acf50 to anything alloy"

ACF50... great stuff but leave it overnight to spread & leave something under the bike to catch the fall-off or you'll be wheeling your pride & joy through a puddle of the most slippery stuff known to man. It does what FS360 should have done but doesn't & is prettier than waxoil.

Micro fleeces with windstopper linings... thin enough to wear 2 under most winter jackets & not too expensive now... good enough that I haven't noticed after an hour's riding at -9C.

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

Keep under the seat..

Latex gloves (for under your main gloves if they get soaked through) and a pair of Pretty Polly XL tights (for an extra layer when it's really cold), anti-fog for the visor. All for under a fiver!

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

Keep under the seat..

Latex gloves (for under your main gloves if they get soaked through) and a pair of Pretty Polly XL tights (for an extra layer when it's really cold), anti-fog for the visor. All for under a fiver!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices