Skip to content

Ask an Expert Motorcycle Skid Control Courses Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Motorcycle Skid Control Courses

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jonathanc

Dec 11

jonathanc says:

Motorcycle Skid Control Courses

Now that the winter is coming on heavily, does anyone know of any skid control courses?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 December 2011 00:26)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

skid control

Yes,it`s called speedway.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Not as such but...

The California Superbike School has a rig (the brake bike rig) which allows them to simulate slides. Looking on their website they use it on level3/level 4 to simulate front wheel slides and rear wheel slides respectively. On previous levels they use other simulators to examine your leaning etc. Their training comes very well recommended by the mags...
I would recommend doing some off road riding as well (preferably on an off road bike:smile). You will slide both wheels lots of times and get your reactions to do the right things.

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

Off Road

Probably the best way to learn how to control a bike sliding around is by doing some off-road/moto-cross riding.  I know that Honda and Yamaha used to do days for this, providing bikes and gear, accompanied by qualified instructors.  With the relative low speed and lightweight machines, you will be amazed how much you learn...no wonder the circuit racers do it.  :smile

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Winter? special training?

I've taken out my 125 and 650 in snow and floods and have been passing stuck cars and slipping and sliding along easily. This is all on uncleared roads.

Just keep your speed low, lots and lots and lots and lots of space, look ahead and make decisions early and take it very easy on the throttle. simple :biggrin:

also if you do skid at high speed i just kick the bike back up (15 years of martial arts focusing on kicking combined with expensive boots makes for a good slide recovery) before it drops too far and if its low speed on really snowy ground i slide my foot along the ground like a ski and gently apply pressure to right the bike. (Both methods are for when the bike is too far to "steer" it upright)

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Re - cyclonite

your last reply reads -:

"also if you do skid at high speed i just kick the bike back up (15 years of martial arts focusing on kicking combined with expensive boots makes for a good slide recovery) before it drops too far and if its low speed on really snowy ground i slide my foot along the ground like a ski and gently apply pressure to right the bike. (Both methods are for when the bike is too far to "steer" it upright)".

You are fucking hilarious!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:!!!!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

"You are f*ing hilarious"

Cool story bro.
Tell us another.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Snow + high speeds

with road tyres and attempts to correct like that = a recipe for a broken leg or death.

Please be careful before you learn that the hard way.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i was thinking about when the weather was bad, but now as there weather is warmer and summer is on the way then it not as need now.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

philehidiot

high speeds as in high speeds for snow... i'm not talking about 65mph ..more like 30 at most any faster than that and you wouldn't have time.

I've done it a few times and as long as you keep the angles right you actually cant break anything, you'll just fall or you'r knee will bend because the weight is too much.

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Re - Cyclonite

As I said earlier "fucking hilarious" you should be on the stage bud !!!:biggrin::biggrin::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::biggrin::biggrin::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::biggrin::biggrin::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::biggrin::biggrin:!!!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices