Skip to content

Discuss This Airbag suits? You ain't seen NOTHING yet: 'Safety Sphere' General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Airbag suits? You ain't seen NOTHING yet: 'Safety Sphere'

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Airbag suits? You ain't seen NOTHING yet: 'Safety Sphere'

A Canadian inventor has come up with the ultimate airbag, whose operation has to be seen to be believed. We don't want to spoil the surprise, so please, watch the clip before reading any further. Rejean Neron's Safety Sphere is a protective suit which inflates to a man-sized sphere, completely enveloping the rider in the event of a crash. It inflates...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (14 December 2011 12:39)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BC27

Dec 11

BC27 says:

I'm all for motorcycle safety but this is a really impractial concept with may things that haven't been thought out.

1. Shouldn't the suit inflate before slamming into the van????  Bouncing down the road would be the least of your worries at that point.  Kinda like an airbag in a car.  It inflates before your face hits the steering wheel, not after!

2. The volume of gas needed to inflate a suit that size and have adiquate pressure to sustain such an impact would require a scuba tank size canister.

I'm now thinking this can't be serious. is this a joke?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Too hot!

This suit (if real, and not just a concept) would kill more moto riders from heat exhaustion that it would save in collisions.

Reply to this Topic
whroobushy

Nov 11

whroobushy says:

The Orange suit.

The idea is ok. But how far do you roll or bounce down the road and what else is in the way that you will run into after the main crash. It would be better (I think) If the suit inflates to protect you but still stays a reasonable size, just like the air splints that ambulance drivers use. Patto.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I think the advantages of this suit would be very limited. If you were T boned by a driver coming out of a side road, the damage to the rider would already have been done. The ball would inflate after the fact and you would bounce down the road like a balloon full of giblets. It sounds a bit like the joke about the Irish parachute that opens on impact! (no intended insult to the Irish,!!) I think everyone else has covered all the probable comic eventualities!!

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

injuries

bc27 you get hurt when you stop suddenly not necessarily when you get hit by a car/van. i was hit by a car and didnt sustain any injuries until about 20-30 ft later when i was flying across a verge and almost into a lamppost with my bike on top of me.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

I think that film might have been faked.

Reply to this Topic
Abdur

Sep 11

Abdur says:

Sensors

This is OK for head on collisions with Lamborghini cars (and the rest 5" tall cars) where you just fly over(if you don't drive over). For it to really work, I suppose they have to place a bunch of sensors around on the bike. Some smart electronics and probably a bit better chance in a side collision with a bus... Still, not a bad idea, just being a bit hasty with it.

Reply to this Topic
cyclehog

Nov 08

cyclehog says:

Very James Bond like

Or the Mars Rover landing, if you like. There are plenty of accidents that this suit would be good for. It seems most motorbike accidents are single vehicle accidents that this would be perfect for. However, I wouldn't want this thing to inflate on me at 5 mph. Or at a stop light! I think I would be ok with bouncing through traffic like a Zorb Ball, though. The in-faring air bag that Honda has developed would be good for hitting the side of a van (well, good, relatively speaking). There's also the suit the MotoGP riders have been testing that inflates around your neck. If they could only get these suits to look more like an Ironman suit... Or Batman!

Reply to this Topic
cyclehog

Nov 08

cyclehog says:

By the way, Chimney

The want to re-shot this video as a live demonstration. Would you be interested in being the stunt rider?

Reply to this Topic
busaman195

Aug 09

busaman195 says:

price?

looks good but only the rich i think,have to wait and see

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle