Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Kawasaki Versys 1000 onboard First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Kawasaki Versys 1000 onboard

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Kawasaki Versys 1000 onboard

So does a four-cylinder adventure bike make any sense? On the strength of our world first ride of Kawasaki’s pioneering, Z1000-based Versys 1000, the answer is ‘Yes’… and ‘No’… The four-cylinder motor is retuned for more bottom end and midrange and it sure is smooth. In addition, the Versys’s three-way adjustable traction control system, which is derived from those of both...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 December 2011 17:14)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Snatt

Mar 08

Snatt says:

Wait till you ride..

Most of the bike looks pretty good, ideal for comfortable long distances. But the front with the lights... ouch ! Very Japanese I think. Rode a Z1000SX and the engine is amazing. However, the ride is too firm for me. Could be the combination of the same engine in an adventure style would work well. The fact that this has no off-road abilities to me is no problem, as I suspect 90% of people going for an adventure bike like the riding position rather than having any desire to take into the back and beyond. It should though be smooth, quiet, flickable. Looks comfy, but heavy (4-stroke 1000cc engine) and could be quite noisy. Price though... pretty good, and at some point you probably could haggle to close to 8k... Test ride should find the truth of it ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

"odd from the outset" MCN you're wrong

Getting over these mysterious front end issues that ppl are talking about we'll move on. Its the only real bad thing about this bike so far to hit the public.

................Anyway, @ MCN, If kawasaki say it aint got "off road capabilities" whats wrong with that? It was never intended to, so it isnt a failure of the bike at all. They built an adventure bike for 99.9% of adventure bike owners. Owners want a bikg tank, big traillie, big torque, luggage etc without being cumbersome. Nothing wrong with the versys 1000 in that respect then.

That would make it not "odd from the outset".

As for the looks, it ok, nothing wrong with bineg different !!!

Reply to this Topic
kingsp10

Mar 05

kingsp10 says:

Wrong engine in my opinion

This could have been a real winner except for the fact that they chose to re-use the Z1000 engine. An inline 4 in an adventure bike just doesn't work, at least not for me. If they'd made it a large twin, or better still a triple, then I'd be looking at it much more seriously. As it is I'm much more inclined towards the 650 Versys which has the idiosyncratic styling and a much more appropriate engine (and before anybody assumes that I don't like big engines, my current bike is a ZZR1400).

I think this is a missed opportunity, and I'm a bit disappointed. Still, hopefully it'll sell well, as I'm sure it fills a niche in the market, just not the one that I personally wanted it to fill.

Reply to this Topic
stonecoldkane

May 10

Adventure bike ???

Although it is possible/probable  to have an adventure on every bike, the term 'Adventure bike' implies something extra, usually off road ability, or rugged round the world-ness, so it grinds my gears when these road bikes with just a cosmetic nod toward  off piste-ness are called Adventure Bikes. How about a new term for this kind of bike,  (see also Suzuki DL1000, Triumph Tiger 1050 or Bonneville 'scambler'.... etc ), probably with the word Urban in it....

Reply to this Topic
mbrya012

Feb 12

mbrya012 says:

I like it's uniqueness with the way it looks.  I have always said if they make a bigger versys I'd get it, now they have! The 650 has gotten great reviews and I know a few that own them and they love them.

Secondly who is the composer of the music in this video? That makes the video worth watching just to hear the music in it!

Reply to this Topic
nigelbarts

Feb 12

nigelbarts says:

I have ridden this bike and previously owned GS1150, GS1200 current bike Tiger 1050(2011)

On first seeing the bike at the NEC I thought it was pig ugly but it kind of grew on me and have since had a good long test ride. The engine is superb very smooth and all the power in the right place, its very comfortable and handles well although I will agree the front end is a little vague when pushing on in bends however this may be dialed out with suspension settings or indeed a better choice of tyre. The bike is so easy to ride and feels light in traffic and on small urban streets. As far as the weight is concerned it is very well ballanced with a much lower centre of gravity than the the Tiger 1050 and this really shows when pushing the bike about.

I was so impressed with the ride quality and engine that I have bought one and sold my Tiger 1050 which is only 7 months old.

Off road is a myth with all of the so called adventure bikes!! If you want to go off road buy a decent off road machine!

For 98% of people who want a comfy capable bike that can eat the miles and carry plenty of luggage for touring but also show a few sports bike riders the way around the twisties and be happy in town or commuting this is the one A+++ to Kawasaki.

Servicing is also far cheaper than Triumph and in the present finacial climate this must me a big condideration.

I cant wait to pick it up on the 1stof March.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle