Skip to content

Ask an Expert Which first big bike help please? New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Which first big bike help please?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Scales1977

Dec 11

Scales1977 says:

Which first big bike help please?

I have just passed my mod 1 and waiting for mod2 test date, I have been looking at different bikes for my first purchase i am 5'10, I have narrowed it down to a few bikes but just after some advice from people with the same experience in the past. 

The bikes I have been looking at are Kawasaki ER6F, Suzuki Gladius, Suzuki bandit, or the Kawasaki versys, I know that is a bit of a mixed bag and how long is a peice of string question but all feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gary Johnston

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 December 2011 20:34)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

ER6n

Hi,

Go for the er6n - cheap to run very newbie friendly.  I got one after passing and have enjoyed it for over 1 1/2 yrs.  I know the faired version gives more weather protection but if you drop it ( which may well happen to begin with) you have expensive fairings!  Gladius a bit girly and not as good a build quality,  Versy just really a taller version of er6.  I liked the er6n cause I can get both feet on ground when stopped.  Also er6n is having update coming out early 2012 so there be some good bargains on earlyier models.  Don't get one before 2008 - when they first came out they had a few problems.

Hope this helps - and enjoy :smiley:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Gladius

Restricts well, brilliant bike, lots of fun.

Reply to this Topic
Scales1977

Dec 11

Scales1977 says:

ER6n/Gladius

That's great thankyou.:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Usual questions

What budget have you got (or anticipate having)?

Have you checked / considered the insurance on the bikes you like?

What do you plan doing with the bike, commuting / scratching / two-up touring? What type of roads: in town, A/B roads, M-way?

Reply to this Topic
biker4life

Mar 09

biker4life says:

Easy

Honda cbr f 600 about 2000 year best all rounder bike any real biker would agree 

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

I occasionally borrow

the wife's Gladius.

Although its only putting out just over half the ponies my Buell does, its still good fun to ride. As a commuting tool, it's ace. It's frugal, it's agile, it's narrow and it has enough grunt to get out of trouble if it needs to, The engine braking is fairly strong compared with many bikes but that just adds to the enjoyment.

Weather protection is non existent mind, and the wind blast at anything much above fast motorway cruising speeds is quite strong. 

Reply to this Topic
Scales1977

Dec 11

Scales1977 says:

Usual questions.

Hi, budget wise upto 4k if needed. Yes the insurance on the kind of bikes I am looking at seems reasonable. Generally weekend rides and maybe a little touring now and then once confidence and experience builds.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers Gary

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Scales1977

Dec 11

Scales1977 says:

Honda

Nice 1 I will have a look at them 

Cheers
Gary

Reply to this Topic