Skip to content

Discuss This Dorna gauging factory opinion on future MotoGP rules MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Dorna gauging factory opinion on future MotoGP rules

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Dorna gauging factory opinion on future MotoGP rules

Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta is in the process of staging individual meetings with senior management from Honda, Yamaha and Ducati over plans to introduce radical changes to technical rules in MotoGP. With the on-going global economic crisis continuing to have a major impact in the MotoGP paddock, Ezpeleta has threatened sweeping rule changes to slash costs in world championship racing. Ezpeleta has...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 December 2011 21:31)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

racing or bike development?

There in lies the problem. We as race fans want to see a thrilling race series with no holds barred passing and a full grid going hammer and tong at it all season. Does it really have to be the most technically advanced bikes in the world to provide that? IMO no not really, what it does require is the best riders with equal machinery.

The factories want something different, they only really care about the manufactures title and showing how much better their bike is than the rest. It doesnt matter if that makes it boring or uncompetitive.

So whats the balance? in the current financial crisis, it may well have to implement the proposed measures to ensure the series survives. Unlike Formula 1 , Moto GP is a minority speed and as such cant attract the sponsorship that the car racing does.

Lets face it though formula one is more of a show than a true race series and do we want moto GP to turn into that? its not always the best drive that wins in formula one its the team who worked out how to bend the rules the best. (remember Jensen Button in the Brawn) In many ways Moto GP is heading the same way with its need for electronics of the bikes.

Whilst i can except for safety reasons that electronics are hear to stay we as fans have to secide what we want to see.  A great racing series with the best riders in it ( which in the current climate could end in being WSB) or a prototype championship with only four bikes capable of winning in a grid of 30 but all the riders are viewed as megastars and paid millions just because they compete in it?

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

GP racing or WSB

IMO one other issue with GP racing is now its gone totally fourstroke its pretty much morphed itself into WSB anyway. the loss of the 250's and 125's has left itself vunerable to the cheaper to run production based series in these hard financial times.

The technical advancements has seenthat the production race bikes themselves are putting out close to or over 200 horsepower with out to much expense. Who'd have thought that just over a decade ago?

CRT bikes show this and IMO its inevitable that they will take over and become the norm in the long term.

As a former motorcrosser this happened nearly two decades ago. the high price factory prototypes where replaced by production based machinery, and the sport is still as good to watch now as it was then.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

sorry

i ment production road bikes not race bikes.

Reply to this Topic
remstein

Jul 07

remstein says:

PINKERTON

Spot on mate

Reply to this Topic
gsxr1969

Apr 04

gsxr1969 says:

other factories

Why just Honda, Yamaha and Ducati. Surely he should be courting, consulting, suggesting ideas to and listening to KTM, Kawasaki, BMW, Suzuki, Aprilia etc etc. with the longer term aim of getting them back into the series. As a businessman, I would ask myself whether the series would be better off with the "smaller" factories, and whether the big two, plus Ducati are part of the problem with their massive R&D budgets leading to higher lease prices for customer bikes. It is all about business unfortunately, but we all know it starts from the show - if that is right, TV audiences follow. BTW - I wonder how the combined salaries of the top 10 add up now to say 20 years ago - and does this affect things in any way ?

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Sorry but the organisers Dorna and the MSMA have killed MotoGP agreeing with Honda to switch to these 800s its a boring championship two Japanese manufactuers Honda and Yamaha and one Italian manufacturer Ducati along with the new CRT machines.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

blaming everything on switching to 800s is naive - the 990s would have ended up with the same electronics packages anyway, they would have just gone faster down the straights.  it would have been the worst of both worlds, with 280-odd bhp and high corner speeds.

if Dorna are trying to go down the F1 route, then they're going the right way about it.  there are now only Ferrari and Mercedes with full factory teams - Renault, BMW, Ford, Toyota and Honda have all bailed out in recent years.  the F1 grid has all of the cars powered by Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari or Cosworth engines.  most teams are now independents that buy in engines / gearboxes and fabricate their own car to fit in the oily bits.  F1 will be using a new lower cost engine formula in 2014.  does this sound familair, as an analogy?

as as far as i'm concerned, the last four seasons of F1 are the best i can remember for a long time.  there is hope for MotoGP yet.

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

off track but....

its almost MCN man of the year time, who would be your MCN forum 'man of the year'....

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

man of the year

I hate to admit it , but its got to be Stoner, first time out on the honda and so dominant. True genius

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

man of the year

Stoner is the safe bet, and Sic the heartstringer, but I would go for Lorenzo - he matured this year, especially his comments pre-Catalunya and post malaysia.

Stoner 1

Lorenzo 1

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices