You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > CBF 500

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

CBF 500

Does anybody have any experience of restricting this bike? The weight and reliability of the Honda appeals, but I'm not sure what impact a restriction will have.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 December 2011 21:11)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Wouldn't have thought it would be too bad.

On the basis that the bike is basically a more modern CB500 and that was one of the classic beginner bikes - restricted many many times I wouldn't think it will be too bad. Generally bikes that don't generate a huge amount of power restrict quite well down to 33BHP....
Andy

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Restricts really well

Makes constant power from low revs to high so change gear whenever you like.  Quite a heavy and solid bike but handles tidily and even with 33bhp accelerates faster than most tin boxes (faster than your sane pillion wants you to).  Even copes well with two average to chunky blokes aboard.  Would eventually indicate a ton (where legal...), about 15-20mph less than when unrestricted.

Engine not as sweet as a SV650, but cheaper to insure and sweeter than any 500cc parallel twin has a right to be.

Very simple install, no disamantling of carbs etc as the restictor just bolts on the outside, restricting throttle cable and twist grip travel.  £135 (or £220 fitted) seems a bit rich for a tiny piece of metal and two little bolts, but it's much harder to copy than the old (CB500) style big washers, and alpha Technik spent time calibrating them for each model, so I reckon it's not unreasonable.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

CBF500

Many thanks - I think you have made my mind up to go with the Honda rather than the querky mt -03

Reply to this Topic
mafakin

Oct 11

mafakin says:

CBF 500

Thank you - all seems very good advice

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

if you're short or nervous

you'll appreciate the CBF500's low seat, if you're not you'll be glad it still has ground clearance and doesn't feel small on the move...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices