Skip to content

Discuss This Annual SORN declarations scrapped General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Annual SORN declarations scrapped

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Annual SORN declarations scrapped

Motorcyclists with bikes kept off-road will no longer have to fill in a SORN declaration form every year following a Government announcement. Owners will only have to fill in a Statutory Off-Road Notification once instead of annually. The need for a paper licence counterpart is also to be scrapped from 2015 in changes aimed at cutting red tape for motorists....

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 December 2011 10:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

I do my bike insurance on-line, if you want a paper certificate, they will send you one, or just print it from the email they send you.

My worry is that, as good as it sounds, these things just don't always work, staff errors(computer errors) and such like can be a right pain in the arris, and if it does go wrong and you get pulled over, it can be extremely difficult to not have your bike/car impounded, not to mention trying to tax a vehicle if the insurance company haven't put the bike/car on the MIB!

And will the same apply if you still tax at a post office? because the paper police at the counters are a nightmare at the best of times.

As for the SORN, what a waste of money and time, it was when it was introduced and it still is! Why the hell do we need to tell the government that we are not using the bike? With all the cameras and the like, if you do ride it you'll get caught anyway!

Put a few pence on a litre of petrol and scrap road tax, the more petrol you use, the more tax you pay, why should I pay the same tax for riding my bike a few weekends a year as someone who rides up and down the country everyday?

Insurance needs a HUGE review too, pay one premium based on age and experience and you should be insured to drive anything, no matter how many bikes/cars you own, you can only drive one at a time anyway.

Reply to this Topic
KWAKZ750S

Aug 08

KWAKZ750S says:

SORN

"Transport Secretary Justine Greening said: “Motorists shouldn’t have to keep numerous bits of paper just to prove they can drive and have bought insurance – we live in a digital age and we need to embrace that"

Call me cynical, but I reckon this has more to do with the plans to shut down the DVLA local offices than anything else.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

''We live in a digital age and we need to embrace that'',   Really!, Yes, yet another way of removing business from our local Post Offices,leading to their closure and the decline of the villages and towns, meanwhile pushing the Governments 'Big Brother' database and their pervasive intrusion and survaillance society

They can shove their databases where the sun dont shine, i will use my local P.O thanks

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

When it comes to government departments or  anouncements , what a cynical bunch  - not sure if it!s motorists in general or  Brits. in general  ?. But it"s true , mistakes are made more today but the problem is when you are dealing with a "faceless" person on the phone or online the problem is more frustrating .  I have found  though , when dealing with D.V.L.A. they are NEVER wrong , and anything out of the ordinary  has them  perplexed  . Having had a garage before I  retired I have had lots of dealings with them , but  a couple of years ago I built  a  Honda Fireblade from a load of parts I had lying around  mostly new . I was hoping for a  age related plate - some hope !  so I was stuck with a  "Q" plate . Everything went fairly well till I attempted to tax it , at our local  post  office - to see the reaction you would have thought I was holding them up with a shotgun . They could not  understand  it had been  registered & taxed etc. but never ridden on the road .[the original disc was cashed-in] The more I  talked , the more they became wary . A full day I spent running around , till I got the tax disc . I have had problems before at our post office taxing bikes ,BUT never with cars ? . Typical .

Reply to this Topic
crawsue

Aug 09

crawsue says:

Riding without insurance.

I contribute to the AJS & Matchless Club Forum,recently we have been reading various accounts of members failing to make positive on-line applications for "road tax".In nearly all cases it was as a result of removing a vehicle from a "multi-bike" policy. The insurers had cancelled the complete policy without asking for return of certificates or REFUNDING remaining cash.In these cases some members had been riding around for months on uninsured 'bikes.....the only reaction they got from the insurers (CN and Bunnetts) was "sorry-human error". Gawd knows what would have happened in event of an accident or "pull"

Reply to this Topic
spondonash

Sep 04

spondonash says:

OMG, some of you want to try dealing with our Government departments here in Australia LOL. When there is too much red tape you complain about it and when they want to reduce it you are suspicious :)

Reply to this Topic
Tramp508

Jan 12

Tramp508 says:

Reducing the number of rules etc.

This paragraph made me laugh. Removing the number of rules and regulations. What a load of S***e they take one load of rules etc away and then come up with another load, eg, the anti-tamper laws. If they really want to do away with all these rules etc, then stop listening to Europe and start listening to your own people, like you said you would Mr Cameron and all your cronies.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Annual SORN declarations scrapped?

I knew I'd read this somewhere so I was surprised to get a letter today telling me I'm 20 days overdue with my SORN declaration and it's my "last chance!" What happened?

www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20111215

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle