Skip to content

General Heated Grips or Hand Guards? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Heated Grips or Hand Guards?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

radddogg

Dec 11

radddogg says:

Heated Grips or Hand Guards?

Hi,

I just got a KTM Duke 125. I'm wondering if hand guards might prove more effective at stopping my hands getting cold than heated grips?

As I see it, wind chill is the biggest factor in making our hands cold so hopefully hand guards might deflect the wind enough to have a better effect that heated grips. They also have the added effect of protecting the levers from accidental damage.

What do people think?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 December 2011 17:41)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

having

now tried both the heated grips are by far the best option, the hand guards only work for a tad longer than normal riding, and heated grips can be had for a few quid off e bay

what ya waiting for?

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

ya big jessies......

man up!!....GET SOME NUTS !!

...now, back in my day.................................:roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

steve

i know what ya mean mate,but 30 years down the line a chap needs a bit of comfort.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Guards

125s do not like heated grips. Oxford do some designed for low powered bikes which might be suitable.

The problem is that the batteries are often so small and the generators don't provide the output required to charge and power the grips.

Hand guards are good if you have sound winter gloves and get big enough ones. As you say, it eliminates the wind blast. Personally, I use the combo of hand guards and heated grips. I find hand guards to be good on their own and you can get them for £30 (acerbic storm) but they must be well positioned and also wrap around enough to block all of the wind. Really, I've only seen the ones that are about £100 do this properly and they needed extra deflectors as well at about £20 each.

If you were to just have one option then it'd be bar muffs as they keep your hands warm, dry and don't require any electricity. You can get the oxford ones and upgrade them later as they have pockets in them for oxford's over grips. These normally slip over the normal grip (longevity is apparently crap as they fall apart) but they open out into a flat pad and go inside the muffs to warm them up.

Personally if I were in your position, I'd just shove the muffs on there. Spending £70 on a 125 that you're not going to keep for too long is a little daft really and it also potentially reduces the value if you screw it up.... like I did. Muffs are about £30, cover all of your hand and will keep you warm.

There are a couple of downsides to muffs:
- they're not for the fashion conscious
- they can get in the way of switches, etc and must be carefully fitted to avoid this
- there's always that sensation that they might trap your hands if you were to have an accident which would cause you to do a superman over the front, with obvious consequences. Whether this would happen in practice, I dunno.

Summarise: grips - expensive and potentially not suited to a 125s generator output. Hand guards - need to ensure they completely cover your hands, expensive for good ones. Muffs, better all round bang for buck but look meh and can get in the way.

Reply to this Topic
Istate75

May 09

Istate75 says:

Heated Grips

My lad rides a Suzuki EN125 to work every day (20 miles each way) and had the same problem with the cold as it's all flat out country lanes.

We picked up some oxford heated grips discounted at the last day of the bike show (the original ones, not scooter and moped ones) and they work really well. Power drain is only 40w on hottest setting and when I'd finished fitting them I did a voltage test with them on the highest setting and the lights on and engine running and it was still charging OK (reading was 13.1v at 2000rpm). I have no idea what the generator output is but I didn't expect anything too high as it's a cheap budget bike.

He used them at 75% heat setting (about 30w drain) during the last cold snap when it was around 0 Deg.C and his hands stayed warm for the whole journey.

At the end of the first week of use I connected his battery to the Optimate and it showed fully charged after about 10 minutes, so I think his generator is well up to the lights and grips.

I hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices