Skip to content

Discuss This New Triumph-powered sportster on the way New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Triumph-powered sportster on the way

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

New Triumph-powered sportster on the way

Is this the machine Brit bike fans have been waiting for? It’s a Triumph 1050 triple-engined sportster equipped with the best in British chassis components and know-how and is on schedule to go into production next year. And although this is only a styling sketch, a working prototype is well under way. It’s been put together by an all-new outfit called Enigma which...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 December 2011 14:18)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
JimLindsay

Dec 11

JimLindsay says:

Jim Lindsay answers

Can I just say, crusty, I think you've missed the point by quite a margin. It is not all bits chucked together. It's a proper one of chassis and bodywork. Can I ask you to read the story because from your comment it seems like you made your mind up after doing nothing more than looking at the pictures. Not so keen on the insults I'm afraid or are they meant to be funny? Any chance of constructive criticism from you? Thanks Roger and Stu. Nice comments

Reply to this Topic
andysxv550

Oct 11

andysxv550 says:

Very Nice

Hi Jim and team. I really like it, it looks like a cracking project. To me there seems to be a few styling ques taken from the 999 Ducati, a bit of RSV4 Aprilia, Benelli Trek etc. But as a whole it all works and flows very neatly and stands on its own design merits. I ride a street triple and love it, but regadless of your engine choice I can't wait to see the next evolution - are there any thoughts on a smaller engine, 675 maybe? I think pricing will be the deciding factor, are there any indicative costs yet? Another great example of British engineers sitting around in the potting shed and coming up with the goods. Get Guy Martin and James May on board for the marketing and PR and you have a dead cert winner. Please keep the public upto date with developments, you have to keep the momentum up. Good luck

Reply to this Topic
Warren569

Dec 11

Warren569 says:

Great project

It's a great project Jim and I enjoyed reading the website!   As already suggested, I would love to see a 675 motor in a ultra lightweight chassis (sub 135kg's?) that could beat other production middleweights (and probably the bigger bikes too) but can see how this might be a problem for Triumph.  Also, the riders with the desire to buy an exclusive british-built roadbike might not stump up the money on a middleweight, instead preferring some mid-range torque ps. the Tigcraft frame is very different than the published mock-up pictures (above), is this evolution of the design?  

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Smart looking bike

for sure. But there are just too many italian styling cues for my liking on a British built bike- Bimota-esque swingarm, Ducati 999 front fairing and Ducati trellis frame and a rear end similar to an RSV. It'd be nice to see some other fairing designs for this bike perhaps some with a bellypan, and how about flush-mount front indicators with the rear ones integrated into the rear light?

And making wheel removal and replacement easier would be nice i.e - captive wheel spacers. How about extensive use of titanium and stainless steel bolts and fasteners for lightness and corrosion resistance - to help keep that bike looking nice.

But however it turns out here's wishing you success in your endevor.

Reply to this Topic
IronKlad

Aug 02

IronKlad says:

Firstly I will say that the bike does look good and also that it is always exciting to see the beginnings of a British entrant. Sadly the excitement stops here for me. Looking at the website and this article it seems to be little more than a "readers special", albeit a very nicely finished one but all the same what is it other than a doner engine in a custom frame and a lot of fancy components off the shelf. I would like to know what the company, and therefore its bike, is about. Worse still is that usually readers specials offer something exciting and unique, have a raison d'etre, filling a gap that you just can't get elsewhere. This doesn't seem to offer anything other than a chance to buy British, and that is very....un-British. Over the years many disappointments have come about when a manufacturer unveils something and the public's imagination runs off. Bikes such as the first Fazer to use the R1 engine. I recall many an article frothing about massive power and how at last someone has given what the public wants. In the end it turned out to be detuned and tame in a soft chassis. I know people will say "its a great bike" but it wasn't what people got excited about, shoulders slumped and tales of missed opportunities arose. Small boutique manufacturers like Enigma could give something like this (an exciting bike not found elsewhere - not an R1 engined Fazer) without worrying about its suitability for huge amounts of people. It could bring something that isn't feasible for large companies. Looking at this it seems like it is simply trading on it being British and that is, ultimately, disappointing. Saying that the pictures of the frame on the site do look different to the concept image so maybe it will have something about it, I hope so.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Jim

Congratulations on your project and of course best of luck with your endeavours. I appreciate with a project such as this, you'll no doubt get a broad cross section of opinion with regards to all aspects of the design and intention, and with that being said, I thought I'd throw my two cents into the ring. Having quickly discussed the bike with a few friends, we unanimously agreed the ongoing desire for a sportsbike using the 1050 engine would be best served with a faired bike rather than a half faired bike. Is this something your team has considered?

Reply to this Topic
JimLindsay

Dec 11

JimLindsay says:

Jim Lindsay answers again

More interesting comments. 

Thanks Andy sxv550. We will be keeping or website up to date with developments and we will also be supplying MCN with news and pictures. We do have smaller engined projects in mind but first we need to get this one right.
Thanks Warren. Yes, the design is evolving. The initial visuals were done before we had bend any metal at all. We thought of the 675 motor but to be honest, the 675 is such a stunning bike in every way that we did not think we could improve on it enough.
Thanks Doomed Dog. We are changing the design at the moment to reflect the development of the frame. See the site over the next few weeks for details.
Ironklad, not sure why being British is a bad thing and we are not trading on that in any case. We are trading on taking one of the best road going engines around and putting it in a sharper looking and handling chassis. Sorry that it doesn't interest you at the moment. Keep following the evolution on our website and I hope we can make you more interested.
Thanks Rainmaker. We're fairly committed to the half faired approach so we can show off the engineering of the piece but nothing is set in stone at the moment.
Sourosh, I'd like to respond to your comments but all you have done is be negative and insulting. Constructive criticism is welcome, however.
Thanks for all the encouragement. You can follow the project on http://engigma1050.co.uk
Best wishes to all
Jim

Reply to this Topic
Adeninja

Mar 10

Adeninja says:

nice looking bike

Hi i like the looks of the bike apart from the seat unit , shame its a 1050 engine why do you all make 1,000 specials , stick 675 in there ,

Reply to this Topic
horton916

Nov 06

horton916 says:

Love it

Keep going Jim. There are a lot of arm chair designers on here that don't know how much work and money goes into producing a bike.

Triumph do not have a 1050 sportsbike at the moment so you are filling a gap. A UK Bimota.

Reply to this Topic
JimLindsay

Dec 11

JimLindsay says:

Jim Lindsay (yet again)

Thanks Horton916. You're dead right about the armchair designers. I'm loving the project but it is swallowing pretty much all of my spare time and probably more money that I can afford!! Adeninja, we could us a 675 but to be honest, I think that Triumph did such a great job of the Daytona 675 that there would be little point. Cheers guys. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices