Skip to content

Discuss This New Triumph-powered sportster on the way New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New Triumph-powered sportster on the way

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

New Triumph-powered sportster on the way

Is this the machine Brit bike fans have been waiting for? It’s a Triumph 1050 triple-engined sportster equipped with the best in British chassis components and know-how and is on schedule to go into production next year. And although this is only a styling sketch, a working prototype is well under way. It’s been put together by an all-new outfit called Enigma which...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 December 2011 14:18)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

I'm liking this alot. Triumph have always refused to make a 1050 Daytona on the grounds there wasn't a demand for big capacity sportsbikes. When the 2011 Speed Triple was launched, I felt it had the starting point of a new Daytona. Just needed a bar change, low exhaust and a full fairing and possibly some gearing changes but hey presto this is better than my thoughts.

It's going to be interesting seeing how things change and what the finished bike will look and ride like.

Nice work.

Reply to this Topic
paulgs9

Dec 11

paulgs9 says:

do you do them in "large"?

that's a cracking looking bike and the as you say there's nothing wrong with the base engine

how about one for the slightly larger / older chaps with higher bars and more touring potential ?

(or am I completely missing the point?)

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

In Fairness Horton

Agreed, there are a number of armchair designers posting here, and I would probably count myself in amongst them. The truth is though, these are the people that will have to put their hard earned money into buying one of these bikes - why should't we have a say in what we would like the final product to be? I understand you'll never please everyone, but it's foolhardy to ignore public opinion, particularly in these difficult financial times..

Reply to this Topic
pissedoff

Apr 03

pissedoff says:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt

After quoting that I have to say it still looks like a minger to me. Getting the same feeling as I got when the TT600 was first shown - ugly and already dated. You can do better Kar. Good luck Jim, and don't surround yourself with nodding yes men.

Reply to this Topic
firebladeboy1993

Jul 05

Lessons learned

I like the look of this and the concept of a "British Bimota" is a good one.  The comparison with Bimota might be a very relevant one though and I'd caution the Enigma team to learn from thier mistakes if they're not to duplicate their rocky financial history. 

I'd say the first lesson is:  DO NOT let your first 250 customers iron out the testing and quality issues for you.  If you do, word of unreliability will spread like widlfire and the project will die right there.  On the other hand, produce an absolutely unique, TOP quality product from day one and people will pile-in!  Good luck! 

Reply to this Topic
BMEP

Jul 08

BMEP says:

Enigma - Project 1 - Stage 1 - Prototype 1 - Version 1 - increment 0

So, build a fast bike; that's easy enough. Build a fast bike that corners; that's harder. Build a fast bike that's in front on a *good* track day; that's reasonably difficult but of course perfectly doable. First surround yourself with the right bits and the right people then calculate yourself to the front of the pack, when you are 0.1 seconds in front of all others then you can call that mission complete. At that point you will be riding a winner, convert it over to the road (sales) version, job sorted! I imagine the people involved in this project are doing it because they can and want to do it, not because they want to extract maximum profit out of a short term sales gimmick. The regulator here is that they all have good names to loose therefore the effort will be formidable enough to force the project to succeed. A word to those on the sidelines - think exactly what the project goal is >>First past the post on a good track day<< then a nice looking variant that you can buy. Don't worry about the looks yet, remember you can bolt style on any time, no big deal. Good luck and good calculations to the project. If you get stuck give me a shout.

Reply to this Topic
packman

Nov 11

packman says:

desperately seeking attention

Brave to try and build a 1 litre sports bike in a tough market with even tougher competition. good luck with cracking that one.

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

Favourite engine

This is my favourite engine of any bike I've ridden (in the 1050 Speed Triple guise) and it doesn't have to be the fastest, just make you feel good.

Reply to this Topic
pissedoff

Apr 03

pissedoff says:

Looks do matter if you want to sell more than a handfull - ask the Harris brothers about sales figures of the Magnum before and after it was restyled. Fireblade ---- Fireplace. Enigma --- Enema. Names also matter. Ask suzuki. Like to buy a Gladius anyone? This does not mean that quality, performance etc. do not matter. Ignore image and you ignore history and common sense.

Reply to this Topic
tuffers15

Jul 04

tuffers15 says:

I heard Ducati were drifting away from the trellis frame...

So good luck filling an opening niche in the market.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices