Skip to content

Discuss This London’s bikes in bus lanes scheme made permanent General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > London’s bikes in bus lanes scheme made permanent

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

London’s bikes in bus lanes scheme made permanent

Motorcyclists have been granted permanent access to bus lanes in London, the capital’s transport authority announced today. The decision follows a three-year trial of the measure which has helped smooth traffic flow, cut emissions and reduce journey times according to Transport for London (TfL). Cycle collisions also fell significantly by 11.6% in the latter 18months of the trial compared to before...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 December 2011 12:53)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HellRider00

Dec 11

HellRider00 says:

Few councils have restrictions on their bus lanes such as ealing council. I recomend always checking the sign before using bus lanes, or dont bother using them until they all agree on something...

Reply to this Topic
R30Paul

Jul 08

R30Paul says:

Couple in Lewisham and a Couple round Lambeth Way - Oi!
TfL should get it sorted out so ALL Bus Lanes are open...

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Ealing Council

Obviously an anti - motorcycle group is in control of the transport infrastructure in Ealing.

Just look at the lack of  motorcycle parking bays across this borough and blocking bikes from bus lanes.

Time to put the pressure on these "Public Servants" !

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Soooo glad those clowns at LCC have been put firmly in their place.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

AMAZED

This represents a total turn round by the TFL from their previous stance on this.

Congratulations to those who campaigned so hard to allow bikes in bus lanes ! Birmingham had various area's where you could and couldnt use the bus lanes so riders will have to be careful in London.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrils

May 06

Nostrils says:

Ealing Council

Ealing Council will not be part of the bus lane / motorcycle use - Not sure if this includes TFL controlled routes, but the main route along the Ruislip Road into Greenford has signs saying taxi, bus and cycle only. Would they defy TFL. What is fact (FOI application sent PDF's with details, how complicated!!) to say the trial reported worst traffic conditions for pedestrians and cyclists. We all know it is rubbish, but with so many stats shown in their paperwork, I cannot decipher them into english or plain figures....

Reply to this Topic
crustybiker

Apr 04

crustybiker says:

bus lanes

why not petion our mps and get them to change the law/highway code and have it leagal all over the british isles then no council can go it alone and say no

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

CYCLISTS!!

Motorcyles in bus lanes is a good thing, much safer than filtering or overtaking.

As an ex coach driver in London, I think my opinion of this is maybe biased but, the worst thing to have in bus lanes is cycles! They are a nightmare, you CANNOT overtake them when the traffic is bad, if they come up behind you at traffic lights, they go on the footpath to get round you, and then hold you up. IF you do manage to get round them, they just jump red lights or ride on the footpath to get round you, then you have to go through the whole pain in the arris procedure of getting past them again!!

And then THEY complain because you get too close to them!! Every cycle accident I saw in London over a ten year span was the fault of the cyclist.

And in most of the country, ALL cyclists are colourblind when it comes to traffic lights! Why aren't they insured? I had over £2000 damage done to my coach caused by a cyclist scraping his handlebar and pedal down the side of the coach.

Ban them from bus lanes I say, not motorcycles, and London cabs is another moan best left for another day.

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Fantastic News

a decent Christmas Pressie for some of us :-D

Reply to this Topic
lonpfrb

Aug 02

lonpfrb says:

Good news, but...

As a daily cycle and motorcycle commuter in London, I'm glad TfL have finaly seen sense. I didn't recognise the conflict suggested by LCC between cycles and motorcycles. We usually see each other in the advance stop lines, which although not legal for motorcycles (Rule 178), seems to work fine: cycles on the left, motorcycles on the right.

The only identifiable group (not just random individuals) who seem to be a problem are the scooters. In my experience they do not observe the MCIA Code of Conduct or common sense to not buzz past other traffic at speed, and very close. I guess they can be excused for never having heard of the MCIA or the Code of Conduct, but they should be familiar with the consequences of being passed by a faster or larger vehicle, not to mention the highway code, e.g Rule 167.

Rather than just pointing the finger at one group, I want to hear how we can encourage scooter riders to be better riders. After all, to many people there is no distinction made between 'powered two wheel users'.

Does anybody have a practical suggestion?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices