Skip to content

Discuss This Cycle group: Don’t let motorcycles in more bus lanes General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cycle group: Don’t let motorcycles in more bus lanes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Cycle group: Don’t let motorcycles in more bus lanes

A cycle group says local authorities should not copy London’s scheme of allowing motorcycles in bus lanes. The London Cycling Campaign says the trial should “act as a warning to other authorities” even though it has been deemed successful enough for the measure to be introduced permanently in the capital. The group claims the scheme has delivered no safety benefits. The...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 December 2011 17:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
silentboarder69

Oct 05

Shouldn't we be helping each other get better safety on the road. We are two minority groups, looking like idiots!

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

De Puniet

I've read your 3 other posts and some of it is valid but you seem to be missing the big picture. MCN are a motorcycle magazine, when one group directly attacks motorcyclists then its highlighted. if car drivers were seriously campaigning to get motorcycles banned from public roads then I'm sure there'd be an article on it. I'm sure you'll agree that car drivers f***ing us over time and again isn't exactly news.

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

Safety / Convenience.

Since there are more vehicles on the road we either need to widen roads or get people on more alternative transport. this scheme dips into both initiatives. it encourages motorcyclists to take their bikes to work to beat the traffic and makes the maximum use of available space while being as safe as reasonable possible. maybe these cyclists should be spending their time on encouraging cyclists to wear high-vis clothing, use lights, signalling and gosh, even helmets instead of complaining.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

If there are any serious collisions between cyclists and motorcycles causing injury or death, surely there must have been an investigation by the Police to establish who was at fault. Those are the type of statistics I want to read, then we can seriously assign blame to the responsible group. As for cyclist safety, why are they not required by law to always wear helmets and reflective jackets as they are the smallest transport on the road. I have a bicycle and would have no problem wearing such gear if it helps make me more visible. I think the whole idea of cycling on public roads needs a re-think with traffic as heavy as it is. Compulsory training must be a consideration, best done at school. When I was at school (a long long time ago) we all did Cycling Proficiency training. Don't know if they do or offer that now.

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

Just a thought:

How many of us, hand on heart, would take advantage of our size and performance and occasionally behave in much the same way as some cyclists if we did not have registration plates?

In other words, is our behaviour determined by our high moral standards, or is it determined by the repercussions of being caught and punished?

Just think, without a means to identify us, we could use any bus lane with impunity, pass keep left signs on the right, go through red lights, go up one way streets the wrong way, and ride on the pavement when it suits us.

So, think about it. Would you really, really keep on obeying the law? In every situation? Late for work, late for an appointment, late for a date? Are we motorcyclists the little angels that we seem to think we are?

The fact is that we don't do any of these things because we can be identified and punished if caught.

The fact that cyclists can do all of these things and not get caught  and punished is the problem.

Reply to this Topic
mattster67

Dec 11

mattster67 says:

Mmm. We just have to remember that we represent our minority group and that how we behave tars others with the same brush. I'm a cyclist as well as motorcyclist. I do see more bad behaviour by people on push bikes,it makes my blood boil as I know people will think I ride like a cretin too!(get off the pavements you w*****s) I don't. I obey the law, simple. But, how many times have motorists nearly hit and possibly killed me?(too many) The reasons they give when remonstrated with is usually that I don't pay road tax.(2 x cars,1 x bike= to much!)How can anyone reason with that? I hope they don't make motorcycles tax free or I might find drivers trying to kill me on my motorcycle as well!!

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Risk assessment.

Better idea, is don't commute into London on two wheels because its a total shitehole.

Why on earth would anyone want to ride a bicycle into that big smelly dump of a place full of manic cagers in rush hour....? Come on  lads ?  "Bicycle" in "London" during "rush hour"? Work it out?..........And they reckon us bikers are nutters !

Risk assessment : You will get knocked off.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

The fact is somethings are fugging dangerous. No matter how much they try to legislate and make it safer and have constant consultations and awareness campaigns, safety courses etc etc blah blah blahhhhhhh..... 

Somethings are just dangerous, if you dont like it, don't do it....... OK.

Sorted...... next ?

Reply to this Topic
markinnormy

Jan 09

markinnormy says:

eatcs01

"Vehicle excise duty, is road tax by another name.

You've shown yourself up as a non biker/motorcyclist/bike owner here, as MOTORBIKE road tax is NOT based on emmisions, it's based on engine capacity. If it was, we would pay a LOT less than ANY car "

Firstly Vehicle excise duty is not road tax, just because you think so. Read my previous and other peoples comments on where the funding for roads and highways comes from.

You're right to a degree, in that with bikes it it based on engine capacity. However as pointed out, bike emissions aren't great, when compared with cars per cc and bike manufacturers struggle/ are unwilling to give out figures on economy and emissions and we dont undergo a full emission test in the MOT, which doesn't help our case for changing excise duty anytime soon.

As for showing myself up for being a non biker/ bike owner here. What absolute twaddle. I have a 2010 XJ6f  which I commute to work all year round (when I'm not cycling it) and a 2008 VN900 custom for the sunny days. As well as 2 road bicycles and 1 mountainbike. Hence, like a lot of other posters here, I feel can voice an opinion for both sides of the argument. Have you ever thought about joining the police with that sharp intellect and powers of deduction?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Separated by a Common Language

Here in the colonies, a “biker” is someone who dresses like a 1% MC member and rides a cruiser style motorcycle. The rest of us are motorcyclists.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices