Skip to content

Discuss This Track diesel comes of age New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Track diesel comes of age

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Peter Henshaw  says:

Track diesel comes of age

The latest version of the diesel-powered Track T800CDi is on test in MCN next week and if 80mpg and 16,000-mile service intervals sounds your sort of bike, it’s worth a look. Until now, diesel bikes have been single-cylinder plodders, military specials or home-brewed one-offs, but the Track is powered by an 800cc turbocharged triple, with CVT (continuously variable transmission) and shaft...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 December 2011 12:05)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

TD Bike

Well I'd love to give one a go.

I just hope they've sorted out the problem with smart car engines eating their own middle cylinder.

Reply to this Topic
firebladeboy1993

Jul 05

Torque

To me what's interesting about this is the Torque potential.  Having dirven a load of turbo diesel cars I do like the amount of low-down grunt they produce (though I hate the noise and the stinking fuel and exhaust).  And having been an owner of the Triumph Rocket I LOVE a ton of torque. That bike was like being shot out of a catapult from low down!  So I'd be intrigued to see what kind of low-down grunt a diesel turbo bike would produce....

Reply to this Topic
millbrookman

Dec 11

millbrookman says:

Diesel Head

I've ridden it.  Saw the guys at the motorcycle Live show at the NEC.  Got on my Triumph Speed 3 and hoofed it down to Dorset.  I've been waiting for this bike to hit the streets for a couple of years.  Folks - I gotta tell you - you HAVE to ride this bike to get it. I wager that if you ride it you'll be impressed with the quality and the ride.  This wont be for everyone - that's for sure. But - even the most dyed in the wool, hard-over cynic can ride it and not be even a bit, grudgingly impressed with what's been achieved here.  It's smooth, it's balanced. it handles fantastically.  I'm planning to purchase around Easter time. Yup - it's expensive. Granted.

I urge you especially the cynics, to give it a go. Then comment. The team in Dorset a good guys. They gave me a couple of hours on the bike and threw in a bacon sarnie to boot!  This bike doesnt threaten petrol bikes - its another option for us to consider. Also - its a real engineering achievement - largely by one bloke - on his own - with his own dosh! you gotta applaud that. None of the big boys with millions to spend have got anywhere near this.  Millbrook man.

Reply to this Topic
pinkerton2964

Nov 11

diesel bikes the future?

I believe that with the car technology available for modern diesel engines mean that the diesel engine could overcome it's incompatability with the motorcycle. We know that diesel engines are heavier and dont rev to 16'000rpm but they produce real world power torque without revving the crap out of it, at the same time improving the fuel economy and range of the motorcycle. A modern petrol motorcycle has great amounts of top end performance but at the detriment of midrange and bottom end power this lowers the engines life span and service intervals. The fuel range on a modern bike is crap no doubt not to mention fuel economy with 600s struggling to get 30mpg. I hope this bike does well but there has been a lot of bikes that have used car diesel engines someone needs to make a purpose built engine for a bike. The british army have been using diesel powered bikes for a years. The diesel may never be any good for an all out sports bike but cruisers, tourers, adventure bikes and commuters imagine a 600cc V twin turbo that could do 300miles on a tank and 80mpg in a CBF type style.     

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

I'd love one

Yup, I'd love one. As a commuter, MPG and low servicing costs are crucial. Plus, nice to see it is an enduro style bike - something I've recently realised is definately the comfiest bikes. Currently riding a 955i Triumph Tiger, but to have something like this that looks a bit like a KTM, does 80 MPG whilst still being powerful, and I would have to service it 150% less often?

Sounds great.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Actually,...

Following on from my post below, if we're talking about commuting, we are just a couple of years away from running electric bikes which would be a hell of a lot better than this.

So, depends which option becomes viable first.

Reply to this Topic
kiwikeith

Nov 05

kiwikeith says:

Diesel Bike

Makes a lot of sense to introduce these bikes to the general public, you may not get as bigger bang for your buck as a gasoline powered bike. But hey the economy will off set that. Like anything new it 's going to cost an arm and leg. But they will get cheaper further down the road. At around 10,000 quid I would be into one in a heartbeat.

Reply to this Topic
BillyRR

Feb 10

BillyRR says:

Diesel engines are Superb

I'm sure diesel engines will be a big success.  I had my first shot in a turbo diesel Audi car a few years ago and have owned one ever since.  It simply blew the petrol version away, and yet it will still pull five of us with luggage round the scottish lochs at 70 mpg.

I've also moved from in-line 4s to V-twins over the last couple of years, and would expect the lower revving diesel engine to have loads of character.  This could pull like a tractor, add 50% to your tank range, and still feel like a ducati turbo.  I'll be waiting for the price to come down though.

Reply to this Topic
OLNEYCC

May 09

OLNEYCC says:

diesel do nicely? I don't think so !!

You have got to be joking !!! Don't even think about it, scrap the article in MCN, don't waste the print space. Diesel engines sound a bag of nails even with all the sound deadening a car puts around them. Trying to package a car engine in a bike frame always looks a dogs dinner. Very much in the amature mechanic league, let it stay there. £16k  for a 46 bhp sloth. I thought motorcycling was about excitement, please don't encourage these lunatics!!!                                                                                                                                                     

There's been lots of talk lately about MPG from modern bikes and comparisons drawn with cars. Well there simply is no comparison to be made when you consider the performance your getting from even a mediocre bike. If my only option for powering a bike was to go diesel I think I'd rather go back to using a car, anyway we all know that electric bikes are just around the corner, I can't see any serious money being put into developing oil burners for motorbikes.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

For outback treckers, diesel may be the go. Should have a great range. On the street, forget about it.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices