Skip to content

Discuss This Redesigning the Trumph Tiger 1200 Explorer New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Redesigning the Trumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Redesigning the Trumph Tiger 1200 Explorer

The all-new Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer - directly targeted at the BMW R1200GS - went through a major, late transformation to end up as we see it now. MCN was given exclusive access to Triumph's designers and management at its Hickley HQ in Leicestershire to get the full story of the 1200cc adventure bike's development. And we were stunned not just by...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 December 2011 13:00)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Looks real nice

I'd say a cross between the Super Tenere and the GS.  Definitely aimed at the standard road going GS.  Similar fuel capacity too.  Very ambitious to go after GS market share, especially when the GS offers (as options) electronic suspension adjustment, ABS, ASC traction control and tubless spoked wheels.  Hoping this does well.  I'd be interested in an Adventure model with longer suspension and spoked wheels.

The use of shaft drive gives me hope of possible useage on other models like the sprint or possibly a new Trophy.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I remember myself posting about how the original tank looked like something taken out of a 1980's BMW parts bin. I must say that last minute change they made will give the bike best chances of commercial success. Even though the BMW remains more "iconic", I think the Tiger 1200 looks slightly better. Good save Triumph!

As for the 25L capacity, the idea is good, but even better would be to improve mpg so that the 20L can get you as far.

Reply to this Topic
bikerred

May 05

bikerred says:

Looks good, very GS orientated styling , not a bad thing, what is the fuel consumption like ? The GS can knock out 50 mpg.

Put 20,000 full loaded miles on  GS though & the rear drives start to fail, bearings, wheel carrier & spline drive tube.

Have Triumph tested this machine on any hard miles fully loaded ?  

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Rivals

Triumph is coming into a very crowded market place; and it's about to get worse. There are the existing rivals like the GS, Stelvio, Super Ten and Caponord and then there's the new Versys 1000 and Honda's Crosstourer. However, going on Triumph's recent form, it's going to be a cracker!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Not a Fan

Looks like a normal bike with the side covers removed. When did the “guts exposed” look become fashionable? No thanks.

Reply to this Topic
street3r

Sep 10

street3r says:

Spy picture

Response to spy picture? Just goes to show they do leak these photograph opportunities on purpose rather than the "by chance" that they make them out to be. And that they read comments and take note which is a good thing.

With that in mind, ok Triumph where is the 1050cc Daytona and where is the 800cc Sprint ST "lite"? Why did you stop the really great Sprint ST and replace it with that Sprint GT bus?

It might just work :-)

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

TIGER 1200

Personally,if Triumph had brought out the above model in sketch with the `BULBOUS TANK' design,looking at it in the pics it looks okay. Reminds me of the old Bmw R1100-1150 GS tank which i liked. Its simplistic wraps around the rad to help protect it and there's less plastics/panels.It wouldn't have interfered with rider as the tank has cut outs.:unsure:

However the design needs the `BEAK' high mudguard to balance design for aesthetic reasons,as well as the important lower mudguard.I like the RAD CALS Triumph were going to use and still should.The production model looks fine, but,there wan't much wrong with it as it was supposed to be.:wacko:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stevieboy1962

Feb 06

Hickley HQ ?  too many Christmas sherries ?

Reply to this Topic
wayoflife

Dec 11

wayoflife says:

comparison

Having rode a tiger 1050 for the last 3 yrs i was hoping for an upgrade in cc to the current model.   First impression says....if i want a bmw i`d go and buy a bmw....however, knowing hinckley triumph put out top machines & now i have had a chance to settle down i can`t wait to try one out.

£/£ i think it will be a winner compared to the Ducati atleast.....ducati reliability @ £14,000 is for me still a big question mark.  Bit old school......more electrics = more hassle in the long run ????

Reply to this Topic
gravelrash

Aug 02

gravelrash says:

Triumph warranty - what a joke

The Triumph Achilles Heel will always be their ludicrous warranty claims department. They have a clause which states that their bikes should be washed every time it is used or they will refuse to honour any warranty claims involving corrosion or the finish deteriorating. What a joke! So here we have an "Adventure" bike aimed specifially at the GS market so presumably it will be capable of dealing with extreme situations such as remote regions of Africa, the Far East, maybe Mongolia. Locations where you might find it difficult to source drinking water let alone a bucket, sponge, shampoo and hot water to clean your bike just so you can satisfy the requirements of Tirumph Warranty Claims. The massive irony and contradiction in that has obviously bypassed Triumph.

I put this scenario to a Triumph rep on their stand at Motorcycle Live and it was obvious he was uncomfortable, embarrassed and did not have a satisfactory answer; all I got was a load of waffle and he knew that I knew he was waffling.

So, even a weekend spent soft roading in Wales will invalidate your Triumph Warranty if you fail to clean your bike at the end of the day.

The GS does have its widely documented weaknesses but BMW Warranty Claims have a great reputation for their goodwill even after warrantys have expired.  Added to that, BMW dealers are also far more ubiquitous worldwide than Triumph.

I would love to buy a Triumph but I am not yet prepared to give my hard earned to a company that has so little confidence in the quality of its product that it finds it necessary to have what is effectively a "get out" clause that enables it to wriggle out of its responsibilities to its customers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices